We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 1
Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

I am flying from Australia to Fort Bragg to stay from August 26 to October 10 and would like to know what the weather and temperatures would be at that time of year being Autumn. I want to know what type of clothing to pack; light layering or warmer. I would appreciate any advise anyone can offer me. Thanks! Have a great day.

Menifee, California
reviews: 32
1. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

I was in Fort Bragg last year in September. I had a light fleece jacket and that was perfectly adequate. You might want to layer up if you decide to do any strenuous hiking or the like -- some wonderful trails, check out this website: everytrail.com/best/hiking-fort-bragg-califo… . You're also not that far from the Redwoods and Jedidiah Smith State Park: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413 .

Checking historical averages for Fort Bragg the temperature ranges from 19 c to 18 c daytime to 10 c to 8 c in the evening. The area does start to get rain in September but only a bit, then a bit more in October. Buy an umbrella in town if you end up needing it. How lucky you are -- Fort Bragg and the surrounding area is beautiful.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
2. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Threelove. Just to double check - you are planning to visit Fort Bragg, California, yes?

The reason I ask is that Fort Bragg California does not have a major airport. The closest for an international flight would be San Francisco.

Menifee, California
3. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Ohh, that's true -- I just assumed he knew that he was posting about Fort Bragg, California! Ruh roh -- all bets may be off....

Edited: 9:20 pm, July 23, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
4. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Thank you so much!! That is so great. I have had some conflicting advise with someone telling me to wear light woollens as it can get chilly and someone else advising I take summer t-shirts and skirts. Sounds like light layering with a couple of jackets would be okay. No heavy winter stuff which would weigh down the luggage. I will be staying at the Living Light Inn as I am studying at the Living Light Culinary Arts Institute. Hopefully I will get some time to do some trekking on those trails you mentioned. I really appreciate your help, you've been great. Yes, I am lucky. Have a great day!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
5. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Living Light Inn is in Fort Bragg, CA.....so all is well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 795
6. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Great :-)

Newcastle, Australia
7. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Yes, you are correct. Flying to San Fran then hiring a car to drive north to Fort Bragg. Thank you. However, I am still confused about the season for the time I will be in Fort Bragg.....from August 26 to October 10. I can't seem to get a clear answer on the internet. Is it Summer or Autumn? Thanks. Have a lovely day.

Menifee, California
8. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

The "official" end of summer this year (the autumnal equinox) will be September 23. The "unofficial" end of summer is whatever day Labor Day falls on, as that is a holiday in the U.S. and marks the time around that kids head back to school 8-). This year that's September 5.

So you will be in Fort Bragg from summer into fall, if you want to look at it that way. The temperature won't be changing all that much.

Newcastle, Australia
9. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

Thank you. Summer clothes with a couple of jackets.......just in case.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 77
10. Re: Weather in Fort Bragg in Autumn

I would not pack based on whether the calendar says it is summer or autumn and any preconceptions about what those labels mean on the CA north coast. Look at any weather site to see the records and averages, then decide what to bring based on what YOU are comfortable wearing in those temperatures. weather.yahoo.com is an easy place to look.

While September is the warmest month historically in Fort Bragg, that means an average high of 67°F (19°C)and average lows in the mid-40s (7°C) - not very warm. The record high for September is 87°F (30°C) - and that is the record.