We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 128 Question?

Which Mendocino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 27
Hwy 128 Question?

Hello all, we are driving up from SF to Mendocino in July and have read a few unnerving stories about this highway. What is so risky about it? I have a pretty crazy fear of "edges" such as on roadways hugging high cliffs with no guardrails, is that what this one is about? Or is it just a narrow road with lots of twists and turns? Thanks and no snickering please from the locals :o)...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
reviews: 831
1. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Gosh, it's been years since I've been on it, but I don't have any lingering memories of "white knuckles"! Maybe this will help?

fortbragg.com/blog/…

California
reviews: 64
2. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Hmmm...I've driven it a couple times, the last time was last August. I don't remember anything particularly scary about it. It's a bit of a slow drive in places with twists and turns, but I wasn't nervous driving it.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
3. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Excellent news from you both, thanks for taking the time to answer. half-Brit, thanks for the link, it sounds like an amazing road, can't wait, AZFan.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
4. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Hwy 128 is tame.

You are thinking of Highway 1. For 8 miles between Jenner and Fort Ross, there is Big Sur-type scenery and driving.

The road is well engineered and has guard rails, but it does go high on the cliffs and back down into the coves.

The prize is the incredible scenery.

But you are OK.. Enjoy the vineyards.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
5. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Thanks Puter, appreciate the clarification and help. Our trip is mid-July, i know i will have at least a few more questions! It is already in the low 100's here in AZ and by July i will need that cool coastal air.

Mendocino...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Favorite road to drive EVER. 40 miles of rolling vineyards, 12 miles in the thick of majestic redwoods, then you pop out at the ocean. It ruins you for any other drive. Have fun:)

Los Angeles
reviews: 45
7. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

If that's the road I took from the 101, which I think started in Cloverdale (?) it's a terrific road. It has twists and turns, so take it easy at the beginning, pull over to let faster traffic pass if you're going slow.

It also will go through farm land, wine country and finishes with a cool drive through the tall redwoods before hitting the coast.

California
reviews: 64
8. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

You'll have no problem on 128, it's a little windy at points but nothing like Highway 1. We've been driving this way to Mendocino for years and happen to have been up there this week, it is a lovely drive and a far quicker alternative than the coastal route.

Coincidentally I've just finished a blog post that has some pictures of 128 as it makes its way through the Anderson Valley and towards the coast,.check it out if you're interested. It will give you an idea of the terrain and some suggestions of where to stop on the way.

Hope this helps,

…blogspot.com/2011/07/trip-to-mendocino.html

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
9. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

We are home now from our Mendocino/Pt. Reyes week and it was beautiful. I will post a trip report and some reviews later on, but i really wanted to thank you all for the tips on Hwy 128, it was as good as you all said it would be.

We took our time and picked up some cheese and fruit at a grocery in Boonville, combined that with the loaf of San Francisco sourdough we had bought the day before and a bottle of pinot gris from Breggo Vineyards in the Anderson Valley and had a great lunch right there on their patio. We also made a tasting stop at Sharfenberger and brought some of that along with our Breggo to the inn we stayed in at Mendocino.

It is really a special roadway and so unique at every turn. The redwoods at the end, just before you break out onto the coast are breathtaking and such a treat. We rolled down the windows and just enjoyed the trees canopying over the roadway above us.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
10. Re: Hwy 128 Question?

Oh, forgot to thank you anthropology for the great photos above, totally know where you took each one, thanks for sharing.