We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

venice beach

Which Marina del Rey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 1
venice beach

Is Venice Beach a decent place to stay for a layover in LA? Any hotel suggestions?

manhatan beach, ca
reviews: 11
1. Re: venice beach

For some of us locals, Venice Beach is the last place we would visit out of all the beaches here in Southern California. But it has gotten a reputation and it is famous all over the world. But some people I know have been disappointed. I'd rather stay in Santa Monica.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
2. Re: venice beach

I visited Venice Beach last year when I was in LA. I thought it was very cool, but I am not sure I would want to stay in the area. There are shops that sell all kinds of stuff on a kind of boardwalk along the beach. I did not notice the hotels, but I can not imagine there are upscale hotels. I guess it depends what you are looking for. The pier on Santa Monica seemed kind of plastic to me, but the hotels near the beach in Santa Monica seemed nicer.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 2
3. Re: venice beach

There are no decent places to stay in Venice Beach, and there's really not much to see. Staying in Marina del Rey is not only nicer, with a better selection of lodgings, but also closer to the airport - LAX. Top of the line there is the Ritz Carlton, then there's the Marriott, there's a Best Western just across the street from the Marriott and there's also the Marina del Rey hotel. All are within a minute's walk of the boats and there are a lot of places for meals - including the popular Cheesecake Factory with a huge menu and equally huge portions!

Los Angeles...
reviews: 38
4. Re: venice beach

Venice is a fun place to visit in the daytime. At nighttime ... I wouldn't be caught there. Depending on what you are into I would go stay in Santa Monica there are tons of restaraunts and cool clubs/lounges in the area. Not to mention if you like to shop there's Third Street Promenade (outdoor mall)

If you are looking for something very mellow and chill stay in Marina del Rey, but be warned there's nothing to do there after 10pm.

Another option is Manhattan Beach (less than 10 miles south of LAX) A small beach community that is very laid back but with great atmosphere. Downtown Manhattan Beach is small and quaint with a few bars/lounges and lots of good restaurants.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 585
5. Re: venice beach

Here's a site on Marina Del Rey

http://www.visitthemarina.com/

and any of the hotels listed there would be good for a visit.

They recently built some very large high rise condos here and several movie stars, basketball stars, etc. have bought here so there are lots of stores, movie theateres, upscale grocery stores in this area to wander through. There is also a nice marina and you could catch a Hornblower Cruise from Marina Del Rey if that is your thing.

http://www.hornblower.com/port.asp?port=md

It is close to Venice Beach too....

Its 1 1/2 miles to Venice Beach......

This area now has some very nice cafes to eat at with good food.....

www.venicebeach.com/dining.php#restaurants

It is an interesting beach to visit and do people watching.

Jay Leno show has been filming some brief spots here the last few nights for his show.....

Its also very close to LAX airport.....so this area would be good.

Again Santa Monica is also good to do the Pier/3rd Street Pavillion but the combo of Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach is also nice...

I have relatives in the area so get down there fairly off...

Santa Monica, CA
reviews: 1
6. Re: venice beach

Venice is fun to see and walk during the daytime. Do not stay in Venice! Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica would be a much better choice for a layover. I think that you get more value at hotels in Marina Del Rey. I have lived in Santa Monica for over 45 years. My family and I spend a lot of time at Marina Del Rey and Santa Monica hotels and restaurants. You can email me at john.coon@wamu.net for more specific info.