We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union station to Manhattan Beach

Which Manhattan Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Union station to Manhattan Beach

Hi dude I m planning to visit manhattan beach this summer n i hv booked a hotel

but i dont know how to get there from union station

i know there's no direct rail line get to it but i still wanna make the transit more easier

plz help :)

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 52
1. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

When you arrive at Union Station, where will you be coming from? I ask this because there are two likely answers:

1. From somewhere south of Los Angeles like Anaheim, if you're visiting Disneyland or San Diego

2. From somewhere north of Los Angeles like Santa Barbara or San Francisco.

In the case of the former, it doesn't make sense to take a train to Union Station as it is located near the northeastern corner of our massive city whereas Manhattan Beach is near the southwest corner of the city (actually, it's just outside of the southwest corner of L.A.). So, the EASIEST way to transfer from the south of L.A. to Manhattan Beach is to take the Disneyland Express Bus from Disneyland in Anaheim to LAX (L.A. International Airport) and then take a taxi or bus to your destination in Manhattan Beach. This will save you at least an hour in transit time and if you haven't already purchased your rail tickets into Union Station, you can save money on the rail tickets.

If you're arriving from somewhere north of Los Angeles, get off the train before you reach Union Station at the Van Nuys Station. This will save you about 45 minutes of time on the train and some fare as well.

Take a short taxi ride to the Van Nuys Flyaway Station and take the Van Nuys Flyaway Bus to LAX followed by a taxi or bus to your final destination.

IF YOU CANNOT CHANGE your rail tickets, and you must arrive at Union Station, then do the following:

A. Descend from the rail platform into the tunnel below.

B. Follow the signs for the Patsaouris Bus Plaza which is just outside of the REAR doors of the station. There is a staircase at the end of the tunnel nearest the REAR doors of the station. (If you end up in the main station -- instead of seeing a staircase at the end of the tunnel -- you went to the wrong end of the tunnel).

C. At the top of the stairs, exit the REAR doors of Union Station into the bus plaza. Look for the UNION STATION Flyaway Bus in parking space #9. Buy a ticket for the bus at the cashier that is not far from the parking space.

D. Ride this bus to LAX and then a taxi or bus to your final destination.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 12
2. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

Dude?

Which hotel have you booked?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
3. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

It would help us to know exactly which hotel in Manhattan Beach you are staying at, as its not such a small area and this way we could give you more specific directions. Just getting to the middle of Manhattan Beach won't be enough unless you're willing to use a taxi or do a lot of walking once there.

An alternative to the excellent suggestions above would be to make your way from Union Station to the Green Line light rail train - you can do this from Union Station either by taking the Metro Silver Line express bus which eventually connects with the Green Line. Or, from Union Station, you can take the Red or Purple Line subways to the 7th St. Metro Center Station. There you can switch to the Blue Line light rail train towards Long Beach, which also connects to the Green Line. In any case, once you are on the Green Line, you can take it all the way to the last station (Marine station - just east of Manhattan Beach) or to the 2nd to the last station (Douglas station - just north of the eastern part of Manhattan Beach), and then potentially make your way on foot, taxi or bus to your hotel.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

Eddie,

If you have reservations at the Crimson Hotel on Sepulveda Blvd. in MB, they have a free shuttle bus pick up from LAX. Just phone them when you arrive and they will send the shuttle up to get you.

If you are staying at The Sea View Inn at the beach, you take a taxi from the airport, south on Sepulveda, right on Rosecrans Ave. and left at Highland a few blocks. It's about 4 miles and ten minutes in a taxi, about $20.

http://mapq.st/16vy0X5

http://www.theseaviewinn.com/index.htm

The few other hotels people stay at are: Hawthorn Suites, The Wave, and Seahorse are also on Sepulveda Blvd. and about a $20 taxi ride plus tip. Families stay at the Marriott Residence Inn, across from Haw Suites, as they have full kitchens, living room, fireplaces, etc.

I've never seen taxi's waiting around at the light rails, so I'd get to LAX where cabs are lined up to whisk you to your hotel.

Let me know if you are staying somewhere else. Some places say Manhattan Beach, but are located in Hawthorne or El Segundo. Be happy to help you.

Edited: 7:34 pm, June 24, 2013
Hong Kong, China
5. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

Thanks dude, here's my hotel details:

Hawthorn Suites Manhattan Beach

El Segundo - Manhattan Beach

1817 North Sepulveda Boulevard, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

Actually i hv to arrive union station first becoz i will take the magebus to LA from Las Vegas :)

Thx for your kindly help :D

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
6. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

That's great. Hawthorn Suites is proving to be a popular place to stay in MB due to the price and free breakfast. You are about a mile back from the beach, but a few doors up is 17th Street and you can walk through the neighborhoods to work your way to the MB Pier, or you can walk up to MB Blvd. and wait for the bus. I'm sure the front desk will help you. Be sure to request a room facing the courtyard as the hotel is right on Sepulveda Blvd. When my brother stays there he doesn't hear any traffic.

Across the street from Hawthorn Suites is Manhattan Bread and Bagel where you can get fresh salads and sandwiches. Also you will see a big Target Store that has groceries, water and beach items you may need. In the other direction is a Walgreens and a block further is the MB Village Mall.

I'm a Dudette!

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 52
7. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

The Magabus will take 5 hours, 20 minutes from the LV depot to the bus plaza behind Union Station. The Union Station Flyaway Bus will take 35 to 60 minutes to reach LAX (depending on the day/time of transfer). Since you're, most likely, on a budget, you won't want to pay $21 (the minimum fare including tip for taxis originating at LAX) for the taxi to your hotel. If you did, it would take 15 or 20 minutes for the transfer. If you opted to go by 'local bus', you'd have to transfer to the bus plaza that is next to LAX (15-20 minutes including the 'waiting time' for the free shuttle) and then take the local bus into Manhattan Beach (25 minutes). So, all told, the transfer would involve:

3 buses

and take

about 6-1/2 hours

Alternatively, you could fly via southwest.com from Las Vegas to LAX (1 hour 10 minutes) -- you'd need to be at the airport 1 hour before departure and you'd need about 30 minute to retrieve your luggage at LAX if you had any. Then, you'd transfer, as above to the bus plaza next to LAX (15/20 minutes) and connect with the #232 Metro bus (25 minutes) -- about 2-1/2 hours of transfer time in total -- a savings of 4 hours of transfer time your current transfer plan.

Yes, flying would cost more but the time you'll save is priceless! If you can afford to fly from Hong Kong to the U.S., and pay the inflated prices for food, drinks and entertainment in Las Vegas (plus lose some money gambling -- MOST people do), you have enough money in your budget for the flight.

Your choice!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
8. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

Ok, for Hawthorne suites, the best thing to do is to get to the Green Line as I outlined above, and then take the Green Line to the Mariposa station (3rd to last station). From the mariposa station, you can take Metro Bus 232 headed south (sign on bus will indicate its headed towards the Long Beach Transit Mall) to Sepulveda Blvd. and 18th St., which is right next to your hotel.

9. Re: Union station to Manhattan Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 27, 2014