We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan Beach

Which Manhattan Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milan
reviews: 3
Manhattan Beach

Hi, I'm planning my next summer holidays with a friend (2 girls 38 age)in California and would like to spend 4 days on the beach. Please let me know if Manhattan Beach is better of Hermosa Beach.I'd appreciate suggestions about the Hotel to choose.After a long trip to L.A. our first night in Sunset Bld, one week in Palm Springs, one week in Sedona and a week-end in Las Vegas, we're looking for a rest before coming back to Italy, with the opportunity to go one day again in L.A.Thanks for help.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
1. Re: Manhattan Beach

Manhattan and Hermosa are very similar. It is important to mention that both of these areas are far from the city center. If you do not have a car, you will not be able to tour L.A. very easily. If you do have a car, you will be making long drives and seeing lots of traffic.

I would stay farther north. If you want to stay at a beach, try Santa Monica or Venice. If not, stay in Hollywood. What do you want to see on your last day?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
reviews: 32
2. Re: Manhattan Beach

Sound like you like the heat! Palm Springs and Vegas are really hot in the summer - but you can get good deals. Since you're spending your first night in Hollywood (on Sunset Blvd.) and then hitting the road, it makes sense that you'd want to relax ont he beach before heading home. I'd recommend Manhattan Beach because it's closer to the freeway and to the airport. You're 20 minutes from Venice, if you want to go there - and while your an hour from Hollywood, there is plenty of nightlife in Manhattan & Hermosa to keep you in the South Bay. Expect keep your car...you'll need it. Having said that, there are many hotels to choose from, but only a couple walking distanct to the beach. They're pretty pricey (Shade & Sea View Inn). There are many more located on Sepulveda Bl, Rosecrans Bl, and Artesia Bl. While they all require a drive to get to the beach, they are more reasonably priced. Too many to mention, but check this site for reviews. FYI: You can rent beach chairs, bikes, rollerskates at FunBunns near the Pier.

Milan
3. Re: Manhattan Beach

Thanks a lot.I know that Palm Springs,Sedona (a look to Grand Canyon,too) and Vegas are a "little bit hot" in August, but unfortunately we can go on Holidays at that time for job's reasons.Anyway,I've rented a full size car through Thrifty for all our round trip.The reason why we're thinking to Manhattan Beach instead of Santa Monica is that we've just been there in the past.For our first night in L.A. ( arriving at 6.30 pm)we're looking for a Hotel in West Hollywood ( maybe Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel or suggest something else?)for having a look to Hollywood at night and the day after before leaving for Palm Springs(how much time from LAX to Sunset Strip?).Really don't know exactly what to do on the last day of our stay in L.A. before leaving to go back home, so suggestions appreciated!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Manhattan Beach

By the time you get your bags, clear customs, and pick-up your car it should take you less than 45-minutes to get to West Hollywood from LAX. I suggest you look at the Chamberlain in West Hollywood (http://www.chamberlainwesthollywood.com/). Since you've stayed in Santa Monica in the past, I think you'll find Manhattan Beach - and the South Bay - much different. More small town and a lot more laid back. After such a big journey, I'm surpirsed you're still looking for things to do in before you leve besides sit on the beach. But you may consider heading down to Long Beach (25 minutes) and rent an electric boat to cruise around. http://www.bayboatslb.com/

Have fun!

Milan
5. Re: Manhattan Beach

Thank you very much for suggestions,BeachChair, but I've another question about the Hotel to choose: would you suggest me Sea view inn or Belamar?Do they have an outside pool?We'll have a car,so it's not a problem to stay not on the beach.Any suggestion about other Hotels there?I'm not sure that we'll have a day trip to L.A.,if we find a nice and relaxing place,all we can do is get tanned!!!

Suggestions for restaurants and what to do at night,to have fun?Thanks again,BeachChair.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Manhattan Beach

The Sea View Inn has a great location but it is a Motel. Very basic - but you can walk everywhere from it. The Belamar is not worth the price and the location is nothing special. I've put family at the Summerfield Suites in El Segundo (on the Manhattan Beach border - see mapquest). Great pool, free breakfast, huge rooms. Good freeway access and not to far from anything. The many hotels along SEPULVEDA BLVD in Manhattan Beach are usually priced higher than the Summerfield Suites - but not worth the extra $$$.

As far as nightlife: Downtown Mnahattan Beach (around the pier) will give you plenty to do. You might find the Hermosa Beach Pier area a bit too wild - but it depends what you're lookign for. You'll find the crowd in Manhattan Beach laid back & friendly. Check out the bar at Shade, Michi, The Side Door, or Hennesey's...or head up Highland Ave. to Harry O's or Panchos.

Have fun.

Redondo Beach, CA
reviews: 1
7. Re: Manhattan Beach

if you are 38 you will find manhattan beach more to your liking. Hermosa is a younger partier crowd, Manhattan is a bit more yuppie, and 30's but still very hip.

I agree with the other poster, check out Michi, and The Side Door!

Milan
8. Re: Manhattan Beach

Thank you very much to BeachChair and beachwoman68.I'll go on following your precious suggestions.If I need more informations, I'll ask for your help again.In the meantime, thanks again and have a nice week-end.

Milan
9. Re: Manhattan Beach

Hi, BeachChair.

I followed your suggestions and I made my Reservation at Summerfield Suites El Segundo, as you mentioned.Really it seems a very nice place , good price ,too and I'm sure that it will be ok, near everything we can deserve. Anyway, thanks again.Probably we'll go to Long Beach for a sea-trip.Would it be reasonable to consider the opportunity of making one day trip from Long Beach to Santa Catalina Island?Please , tell me...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Manhattan Beach

Absolutely. Both Catalina and Long Beach would be considered "day trips." Personally, I find Catalina a little boring - it's not like Capri! What you might want to do is go to Long Beach. Near the Aquarium, you can catch a water taxi (big yellow boat) for a 30 minute ride to Alamitos Bay. Great waterside lunch/drnks and you can rent a do-it-yourself easy electric boat and criuse the canals. It's not Venice, Italy, but it's still fun... The water taxi will cost you abotu $6 round trip. Stay away from the more expenisve "excursions."

Glad to help.