We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 11
Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

Hi, I live in Atlanta, Ga. but am planning a quick 2-day trip to Burbank/LA with my elderly aunt. We have Ellen DeGeneres tickets for Jan. 31.

I'm looking for any helpful ideas on where to stay and what to do while we're there. We'll probably arrive on a Tuesday around lunchtime, spend Tues (and Wedn) nights, and go to the Ellen Show (which I guess takes all day!) on Wednesday. We'll plan to leave again on Thursday morning or early afternoon.

My aunt is spry, but I doubt we would be able to do anything that takes too much walking. I'd like any suggestions on good shopping-area places to wander around (where we could pause to have something to drink or rest), or gardens that would be nice the last part of January. I'd like to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theatre if it's not too tacky.

Thanks to any folks replying to this!

La Habra, California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

If you have a car, I highly recommend the Huntington Gardens in San Marino, CA (just south of Pasadena). It's about 30 min. east of Burbank. Although it's big, there is a great tea room as well as rose garden area that has lots of benches (as I recall). The japanese gardens there are a must see if you go. There are also fantastic desert gardens there, but I don't recall if there were that many benches in that part of the Huntington. Also, there is an art collection and a library with famed historical documents. You need to make reservations in advance if you plan have tea. You can get more information about the Huntington at the following website:

http://www.huntington.org

Another gardens I would recommend is Descanso Gardens especially since they are famous for their camellias and they should be at the height of their bloom at the end of January. You can check their website for more information:

http://www.descansogardens.org/

Downtown Burbank is getting popular as a place to stroll but Old Town Pasadena is already established and has a better selection of places to visit and is easier to get around I think. Here are a couple of related websites that will give you more information.

http://www.downtown-burbank.org

http://www.oldpasadena.org

http://www.oldpasadena.com

Let me know if you have any more questions as I'd be glad to answer them!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
2. Re: Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

First, I want to point out that Burbank and Hollywood (where the walk of Fame is) are northeast of the central part of Los Angeles. LAX (Los Angeles Airport) is to the southwest of that area. If you haven't already made your airline reservations (or can change them), I'd recommend flying into Bob Hope Airport in Burbank (airport code: BUR). This airport is 5 minutes from the Studios by taxi and 15 minutes to Hollywood. LAX is 35 or 40 minutes to Hollywood and an additional 15 minutes to Burbank! Also, BUR is a much smaller airport -- less crowds, shorter walks. So, recommendation #1 would be to fly into BUR.

You don't say whether you will have a car. You won't really need one since you're going to be tied up with Ellen for a lot of the time.

I recommend going to the intersection of Hollywood Bl & Highland Av during your free time. This will accomplish the following:

1. It is the beginning of the Walk of Fame

2. It is the location of the Hollywood & Highland shopping, dining and movie center where you can wander around, shop and eat.

3. The Chinese and Kodak theatres are also there.

The drive to Hollywood and Highland is a simple 15 minute one from the studios (anyone can direct you). Park in the Center's parking structure (enter off of Highlannd Av). Parking is discounted if you purchase anything in the mall (even a cup of coffee).

A taxi will run about $20. If you use public transit, take the metro bus #163 from southwest corner of Riverside Dr & Hollywood Way -- 6 blocks from the studio (ask for directions when you leave the studio) -- that will take you to the corner of Hollywood & Highland in about 25 minutes. Hollywood & Highland is the bus's last stop so it will be displayed on the front of the bus when it pulls up.

Bus and metro rail fares are $1.25 for you (45 cents for your aunt). Or buy a DAY PASS (affording unlimited rides on the metro buses and metro rail) for $3 for you ($1.50 for your aunt).

Consider staying either in Hollywood or Burbank. Here are lists of hotels in those areas ranked in order of preference by your fellow travellers (the first hotel list is most preferred and then the list is in descending order of preference).

To see the hotel listings, click on the links below and then scroll down until you see the hotel lists. Click READ ALL REVIEWS to see the full reviews for a hotel; click CHECK RATES for current prices.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32655-Los_Angeles_Ca…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32123-Burbank_Califo…

Have a great time.

New York City, New...
reviews: 36
3. Re: Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

I don't think Ellen takes all day, you line up early morning (7am) and get tickets by 9am, then come back later on. You might want to do the Warner Brothers Tour at 10am...it's just around the corner from Ellen.

Best Western Burbank is just a few blocks from Ellen...with restaurants across the street and just a one block walk to the bus which goes to Hollywood Walk of Fame.

4. Re: Quick visit ideas for LA/Burbank?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 20, 2009