We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dodgers game

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighouse, United...
reviews: 9
Dodgers game

Posted a while ago but no trace of thread so here goes...

Will be on holiday in LA in April and want to see the Dodgers v Giants. First game's in the afternoon, the second in the evening. Which is most enjoyable? Wife says it would be nice to see sun set while at the game.

Can't believe Top Deck tickets are so cheap at $6! Is it a poor view from here and should we look elsewhere?

Also, what's traffic like getting to the stadium and how long should we leave to get there from Hermosa Beach area?

Many thanks

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 7
1. Re: Dodgers game

Evening. From the top level seats. The view is great. They are one of the best bargains in all of baseball. The view is expansive, but the sun sets behind the stadium, and over the skyline...It gives nice light in the seating bowl and on the hills beyond. You can see it from the outside walkway...

Just assume traffic will be bad...allow at least an hour for the journey.

Los Angeles
2. Re: Dodgers game

The afternoon game is the Dodgers season opener at home, the game is already sold out. You can purchase tickets through an agency but they will not be anywhere near face value. The nice thing about Opening Day is all the pomp and circumstance that goes with American baseball. The stadium is decorated with bunting. Military jets fly over. Sky divers drop onto the field. Often, a known celebrity sings the anthem. The Dodgers are introduced to the city. If I sound like a fan, it's because I have gone to every single Opening Day game for the past 26 years with my father. For me, Opening Day at Dodger Stadium is New Year's Day. As a matter of fact, I just bought my tickets for the Top Deck for Opening Day today!

If you do decide to go to Opening Day, plan to be in your seats by 12:20. If you plan to arrive at 12:30, you will not actually get there until 1:15 (LA people know what I am talking about!). Get there early, eat a grilled Dodger Dog, a large coke filled with ice, peanuts, sit back and relax. You can also bring in your own food but backpacks and bottles are not allowed. But eat the dogs at the stadium, the best in baseball. The dogs I dream of in the dead of winter.

To arrive on time from the Hermosa Beach area, leave at least an hour prior.

The top deck section is my favorite, the best value in baseball. I am not a big fan of the bleachers because the view is not nearly as spectacular. The infield reserved section behind home plate is good but more expensive. Of course, the areas below and right behind home plate are great but for rich people (and I am far from that).

The evening game is a good idea also. The sun sets behind the stadium. You can see it but not from the seating bowl. The colors at that time are glorious. BTW, Barry Bonds and the hated Giants will be in town. Man, I cannot wait!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly: rubenc49@yahoo.com. Enjoy your trip to the City of Angels!

Brighouse, United...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Dodgers game

Many thanks for your advice. Booked my tickets last night for the evening game. Had I known about the opening game's pomp and ceremony (Being British we know a lot about that!) before I booked I would probably have gone for that game. Still, the evening game should be great. We're in the Top Deck and will take your advice about a Dodger Burger!

Los Angeles
4. Re: Dodgers game

Although they do sell burgers there, I was referring to the Dodger DOG. It is a hot dog, very American and very good. There are food stands throughout the stadium that sell them but make sure you go to a stand that specifically says "GRILLED". A grilled hot dog is much better and they are available on every level of the stadium.

There are a variety of food choices throughout the stadium but some are located exclusively on certain levels. Ask an usher and they will give you directions.

I am writing my Master's project on baseball, an explanation of the game that is the essence of America. Just thinking about the stadium, the game, the food is getting me very excited about the upcoming season. Baseball is the symbolic arrival of Spring and renewal. I hope that you are your wife have a great time here in Los Angeles! Remember this city, for better or for worse, is unlike any other major city in the world.