We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 2
TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

Hello! Just found out today that the Jesse tv taping that my 11 year old wants to see will be happening on the Friday of Labor Day weekend. We are coming to LA from the east coast on the 22nd, then heading to Disney and the plan was to go to San Diego on that Thursday. We fly out of there on Sunday. If we get tickets for the tv taping, I see there is an Amtrak train between San Diego and LAX. Would it be difficult to get to the Hollywood Center Studios from the Amtrak station? As crazy as it sounds, I would bring my daughter to the taping and then do the zoo on Saturday in San Diego before flying home. The other option would be to head back to LA on the Thursday night instead of down to San Diego, and just delay the San Diego portion and only have a day there. Bummer part is that we have tee times for Torrey Pines on that Friday so that would be missed! Hmmm, maybe, my husband and I play golf and our 24 yr old takes her 11 yr old sister to the tv taping! Trying to come up with the easiest way to make this happen.

9 replies to this topic
california
reviews: 12
1. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

After doing a little research, amtrak can get you for old town San Diego to LA Union Station in 2hr 20 m. Trains leave approx. every hour. You could leave around 7 am and get to downtown by 9:30. You can return as late as 10:00pm and arrive back in San Diego after midnight. At Union Statuon you would chnge to the red line of the metro and get off at Hollywood and Highland. Go one mile south on Highland and you'll be at the studios. This is a 20 minute train ride from union station. So 6 hours round trip, not including the taping. AND since it's Labor Day weekend, the roads will be jammed. So it CAN be done. BUTyou would probably be better staying in the LA metro area, spend the night up near the studios, going to the taping and then driving to San Diego Friday night late...after traffic. This means you give up the golf. Labor Day weekend in San Diego sounds lovely. Dealing with LA traffic that weekend does not. I live in OC, and have spent almost my whole life here.

Do you fly home from San Diego, or LA? If San Diego, then go to San Diego Wednesday and blow Friday by bringing her back to the taping. If you are flying out of LA, then can you shift your trip to start and end in Anaheim with the middle of your trip in San Diego? You'd need a new tee time, and it will put you at Disneyland Labor Day weekend which is notoriously busy due to the half marathon.

Hope that helps. Or at least gives you some things to consider.

Websites I used to find out this info were

http://www.amtrak.com/home

http://www.metro.net

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
2. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

The only easy way is to be in LA already, not try to get there from SD on a holiday weekend.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
3. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

I think you have to prioritize the TV taping or the zoo. Frankly, looking at the ages of your children, and having recently been to SD Zoo, you could skip it. There is no educational element to the zoo, just a map of a country with a star indicating where the animal is from. Many tourists think the animals should be entertaining them, so they'll bang on cages, yell, throw stuff at the animals, too, zoo staff seems lacking in this area. The hilly environment there means it gets very hot, animals will be in their dens while you are huffing up and down hills seeing nothing!

If you decide on Amtrak, don't get off at LAX. You will take it to Union Station where you will transfer to the Red Line to Hollywood. Plug Union Station LA to 1040 North Las Palmas Los Angeles, CA 90038 (that's the address I got from their website) into Google Maps to see the specific route.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
4. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

Wow! Sorry to read such an indictment of the zoo(which we love)

I agree though that I would not try to go up to LA for a hurried day trip!

I also would not go to San Diego just to see the zoo! There is so much more to enjoy here than just that! There is also more to enjoy in LA than just the taping!

New Jersey
reviews: 2
5. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

Thanks for your replies. Leaving Disney earlier to go to SND is not an option for us. We arrive in LA on the night of 8/22. Doing LA first because of the Mets-Dodgers game on the 23rd. Head down to Disney on Sunday late afternoon / early evening after brief time in LA. Hoping to hit Universal, the game, Warner Bros and Santa Monica for lunch on Sunday before heading down Disney. Leaving from Disney to SND on Thursday afternoon or evening. Trying to avoid being on the road on Labor Day Friday! SND was supposed to be a relaxing break after the theme park days. The older daughter wants to take a surf lesson or paraglide near Torry Pines while we're there for golf. I thought the zoo would be pretty to walk around in. Unfortunately, our flight is early afternoon out of San Diego on Sunday so we don't have much time in SND. Won't risk flying on Labor Day since school starts the next day and want to make sure we're back. I know my 11 year would absolutely go crazy over the taping. Seemed like I needed to make it work since I was close! Thanks for the Amtrak tips. Gosh, really don't want to lose what was supposed to be a relaxing time in SND!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
6. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

I understand your problem; everyone has their own wants and needs. If your 11 year old found a taping he is very interested in, when will he ever get to do that again? I suppose there may be a time when he can go to a taping in NYC, though, seeing as you are from New Jersey. There are great zoos throughout the world; I'm sorry to have a strong opinion about this one, but they really need some long overdue upgrades.

For relaxation in the San Diego area, I like LaJolla. You can see tons of sea lions on the rocks (we saw Sea World rescuing one), you can snorkel, kayak, SUP, swim, or just stroll the beach town. Nearby is the Birch Aquarium. If I wanted downtime in San Diego (and I did just this last weekend), that's where I would want to be. However, I will say I love San Diego Zoo Safari Park; it is excellent (but will still be hot).

http://tinyurl.com/o6zn7hj

I don't envy you this dilemma!

california
reviews: 12
7. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

I think your plan is spot on. I just think Labor Day weekend, any weekend really, trying to get back to LA for a TV taping would be tough. San Diego is lovely. Down behind Belmont Park on the beach in San Diego is the Wave House www.belmontpark.com/restaurants/wavehouse/. We have found this place to be a great place to hang out in the late morning afternoon. I think it probably gets a little more adult as the day goes on. But check it out. My kids like Sea World and the Zoo. Mission Bay has lots of water craft rentals. We stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa, and right behind there you can rent different kinds of water craft and bicycles. I'm sure there are a lot more places to do that. Relaxing in San Diego sounds lovely after several days in late summer in LA and at Disneyland. Have fun.

8. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, June 30, 2014

Zephyr, Texas
reviews: 3
9. Re: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego

What is the time of the taping on the Liz and Maddie ticket?

Reply to: TV taping in Aug coming from San Diego
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted