We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location and Hotel for first couple of nights

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 19
Location and Hotel for first couple of nights

We (wife and I plus 8 & 5yo girls) are returning to beautiful Southern California again this year for our family holiday, primarily for Disneyland. We want to start the holiday in Los Angeles, at this stage preferably Santa Monica, as we really enjoyed our visit there last year.

Just looking for some hotel advice, arriving September 25th. Hoteks are, obviously, quite expensive there, I'm hoping for something around $250/night, expecting to pay tax and unfortunately parking for our car on top of that. Budget can be stretched for the right pace. We don't need to be right on the berachfront, but need to be easy walking distance to 3rd Street shops and restaurants in the area. A pool would be preferable too.

So far the one that seems to fit most of the criteria is Doubletree Suites, but I'm just not sure about the location. Any other recommendations? The Georgian is another I have looked at, better location, a little more expensive, and not sure if there is a pool?

Lastly, are there other areas we could also be looking at instead of Santa Monica? We haven't figured out exactly what we will do yet, possibly Universal, definitely Griffith Park, maybe a drive to Malibu, the Getty. We did Hollywood in 20 minutes last year which was enough!

3 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: Location and Hotel for first couple of nights

The Georgian does not have a pool, but is a lovely hotel. Doubletree is good for families but an odd location. Did you look at The Shore or Loews? Also check Ambrose. Rates should be lower for September

Auckland Region...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Location and Hotel for first couple of nights

Thanks Elle, will check those others out. Good to have confirmation The Georgian doesn't have a pool. I also saw the article you posted on the golf cart tourist shuttles - do you think they would make Doubletree a little easier to stay at?

Rancho Santa...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Location and Hotel for first couple of nights

Check out the Hotel California. The location can't be beat. Definitely quirky. Your kids will love it. But, you're Kiwis and you'll roll with it happily. You can save money by parking at City Hall which is a block away and costs $5/night. Even better, there is a gorgeous new park which just opened across the street.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33052-d82076-R…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33052-d49…

You should also visit the Natural History Museum at Expo Park just south of downtown. Your kids will love it.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32655-d10…

HTH

Reply to: Location and Hotel for first couple of nights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted