We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 40
To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

Lame question I know! But we're trying to decide between two vacation properties in Downtown LA - one has cable, one doesn't.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the two? (I know premium channels like HBO etc won't be on normal TV, but something like the Weather Channel would be useful when planning days out further afield.

We're not couch potatos (!) just want to know what to expect if we pick the apartment with standard tv channels.

Any help appreciated!

15 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
1. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

What are the two properties?

London, United...
2. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

They are private lets in the downtown area, very much on par with each other, the only difference is this minor thing with cable.

It's not going to make a huge difference to our stay, would just like to know what to expect should we pick the non-cable option

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
3. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

It will depend on what they have instead of cable. You'll really have to ask them.

They may not have tv at all but since you have not provided a link to the rental we cannot see what it says.

London, United...
4. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

No problem... I thought that non-cable would be generic for the LA area or something like that... No big deal, but I didn't want to post their details all over TripAdvisor.

Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
5. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

People post links to rentals on here all the time so locals can describe neighborhoods/locations for folks like you who don't know the area.

Very few people have just "ordinary " tv. any more. We were one of the dinosaurs that had that but even we have gone to paying for service these days.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
6. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

As Riff and Scott asked and mentioned the value of the Ta locals is to help visitors choose the right neighborhood based on safety and the sights they want to see

You brought up weather. Well most would use the net to get news traffic and weather

We personally like to flip tv channels in a different country just for the fun of it and compare shows

For example masterchef in the US sucks compared to the Australia one

Edited: 9:31 am, January 09, 2014
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
7. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

Generally, the non-cable stations in LA are limited to several VHF stations:

Local affiliates of the major national networks: ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX

Local TV stations: KTLA, KCOP, KHJ

These all feature a mix of news and entertainment programs. Generally the news (and weather) are not on these stations all the time - there are evening local newscasts around 5PM and 6PM and then at 11:00 on most of these stations, during which you'll see the weather. During entertainment programs, most will include brief news updates during the commercial breaks for these programs.

If you have cable, then you'd have channels like CNN and CNN Headline News, which are news basically 24 hours a day, the latter in a repeating 30 minute format - but these are national channels and while they do include weather, may not really mention anything specific about the LA area. There's also The Weather Channel that basically gives weather updates all day, but again may not be specific to the LA area.

For weather updates at your convenience, your best bet is the internet (use web sites like www.theweatherchannel.com / The Weather Channel App for your smartphone) or local AM radio broadcasts - AM 980 and AM 1070 are news stations and broadcast weather updates every 10 minutes or so throughout the day.

London, United...
8. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

Excellent, thank you for passing this information on - this really is most appreciated!

London, United...
9. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

To clarify, I'm sorry if my initial question wasn't very clear - I didn't post information about the individual rentals because, as mentioned, they were on par with each other in terms of amenities and location and we know the area, no queries regarding this... I was asking a general question about the difference we'd expect with non-cable TV. Which rental is which is irrelevant given that they're so similar.

Many thanks again MachThree for answering my question, and for everyone else who took the time to reply.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
10. Re: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...

Here is the current list of over the air channels in the LA Area.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/markets/Los+Angeles

Note, these channels are digital, and either you get the channel or not, many areas won't be able to receive all of them.

And while Headline News used to be all news, now it is mainly talk shows with folks like Dr. Drew and Nancy Grace, aka you aren't missing a thing.

Between the local TV stations, you can get live news from 4 AM to 11:35 PM, with only a couple of windows of no news, such as 10:30 AM to 11 AM, and then 7 PM to 8 PM).

Reply to: To cable or not to cable, that's the question...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted