We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying in cash for tours

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
reviews: 2
paying in cash for tours

Hi, we are arriving in LA in March and staying at Orange Grove and would like to take some tours to Universal Studios, hollywood etc. and wanted to book by phone once we get to the Hotel. We usually pay by cash so is it possible to go to the tour company to get these tickets and to pay. We are coming in from Australia. Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
1. Re: paying in cash for tours

Why don't you just do them online and use your credit card. Traveling to the tour company to get the tickets would be a real hassle. See if they won't let you book online and print out the tickets.

The hotel will undoubtedly have a computer and printer available, if even at the front desk. They are usually glad to help you.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
2. Re: paying in cash for tours

I understand not wanting to use plastic. The flaw is that a desired time and date for your tour may not be available to you n you show up with cash in hand.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: paying in cash for tours

Well, I guess I do not understand why not to "use plastic". We have traveled all over the world for many years and we do not carry cash or use cash, except for withdrawals from ATM machines in cities where we want in hand "spending money". Where we want to ride the bus, pay cash for a meal, leave a tip, buy a newspaper, use the laundromat , etc. etc.

Everything is so much simpler when you "use the plastic". You can do it online, you don't have to GO anywhere to pick up tickets. They are printable.

Our credit card balance is paid automatically each month out of our bank account, so we pay no interest.

We have a card affiliated with an airline and have had free business class trips to Costa Rica, Argentina, Peru and London to SF because of the miles we accrue on our card.

You have to be aware of how much you want to spend....period...and not "use the plastic" if you don't have the cash in the bank.

Simple. When you use it just pretend you are writing a check. do you have the money in your bank account or not?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
4. Re: paying in cash for tours

Hi, Taylah. I think you misspoke. Your posting said that you're staying 'at Orange Grove' but I think you mean "Garden Grove". (Orange Grove is a street in Hollywood; Garden Grove is a city in Orange County -- outside of Los Angeles).

You should contact your hotel to see if they can book tours for you and accept cash. If they can't, you can book through a travel or tour agency near your hotel. Since you haven't told us the name of the hotel at which you're staying, it's difficult to recommend a tour agency but there is a large agency of this type near Disneyland called the Anaheim Visitor Center (http://anaheim411.com/). Contact them and ask them if you can pay for the tours in person at their office (and ask for the location of their office as it is not on their site). Their email is: tom@anaheim411.com

Alternatively, you can transfer to Hollywood and Universal by rail from the Garden Grove area. It's a 2-step transfer: a train to Union Station in downtown L.A. followed by a red line train to Hollywood and Universal.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
5. Re: paying in cash for tours

More and more tor buses are dropping the Cash Option unless at a main depot. This is protection for the driver and the company (no money on board to rob, no way for the driver to "forget" to ring up a sale and pocket the cash.) Also things like the LAX Flyaway Bus also stopped taking cash awhile ago.

As mentioned, order online, use your card, and then just print out the voucher (usually with a barcode) and board the tour.

Queensland
6. Re: paying in cash for tours

Thanks again for all your posts and yes i did mean Garden Grove. The main reason that we pay by cash is that we buy US dollars when it is high and keep it until we go away if not as it is at the moment the dollar is going down at a rapid rate here in Australia and we are only getting 88c in the dollar. Also if we use plastic our banks charge us a fortune for using it overseas, anyway we will think of something to do, so thanks again to all who answered us.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
7. Re: paying in cash for tours

Pretty Sure that Gray Line still takes cash at the Anaheim Depot.

Also Discount Tours at Anaheim GardenWalk will take cash and sell you tickets for many tours.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
8. Re: paying in cash for tours

Put the cash on a prepaid debit card when here. This way, you avoid the hassles mentioned above, also you are protected in case of theft or loss

Queensland
9. Re: paying in cash for tours

Thank you for your post, i was not aware that i could do that and can you tell me where i would get a prepaid debit card as we will be staying in a hotel at harbour blvd garden grove.

Queensland
10. Re: paying in cash for tours

Thanks Darkbeer, we are going to Gardenwalk so will check out Discount Tours, thanks again.