We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barbados
reviews: 46
Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Looking for a hotel base in LA - I have narrowed my search to either hotels near Los Angeles airport or West Covina. I prefer an area close to malls etc . We probably will book a rental car but I still want to be within close proximity to shopping. Suggestions? Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
1. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Neither. While the LA experts are resting Why not read the top questions on the right side of this forum page and you can get plenty of info with the question Where to stay in LA

Let them please know your nightly budget for a hotel and what specifically you want to see and do in addition to shopping . There are plenty of shopping malls in LA

Rancho Santa...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Agreed. Both are dreadful ideas. You need to start over.

1) What is your nightly budget for accommodations?

2) What is your itinerary?

3) Will you rent a car?

A major mistake visitors make is selecting a hotel without planning their itinerary first.

HTH

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

I am not sure why you have decided that the airport (LAX) is close to shopping??

Please listen to the 2 posts above and start your thinking over again by first answering their questions and 2nd think about other things you'd like to see/do besides shop.Also telling folks how many days you'll be in the area would also be helpful.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
4. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Chica - the best area to stay for shopping tends to be somewhere in or near the corridor between The Grove shopping center and the Beverly Center which is a huge, massive mall. They are separated by a distance of around one mile and the streets in between them are filled with smaller boutique shops. If you'll have a car its a great place to stay as it is an area that also tends to be very central with regards to most tourist itineraries.

Here's a map that illustrates where the two malls are, the shopping corridor I mentioned, some other nearby shopping centers and some of the hotels in the area.

http://goo.gl/maps/7ZlHx

However, if you can let us know your hotel budget per night and give us a final decision on renting a car, or not, we can give you more specific advice.

Good luck!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 24
5. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Both are terrible areas. West Covina isn't even near LA, and the airport area is just the airport.

What is your budget per night for a hotel? We can help you find something central and near shopping.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 178
6. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Yes, please give us your nightly budget, number of people, time of year and we can help you find a central, safe, fun place to stay.

Malls are located throughout LA. In the center of Hollywood is the Hollywood and Highland mall. Stay near The Grove, a gorgeous mall that's also adjacent to the famous Original Farmer's Market and very close to the Beverly Center.

On the West Side of LA, you have Century City Mall, Westside Pavilion, Santa Monica Place, and Westfield Culver City Mall.

Vibrant neighborhoods are full of unique, small boutiques and independently owned shops, too. Examples in Santa Monica are Main St. and Montana Ave., but each community will have their own walkable shopping streets. I love poking around shops in beach towns. Manhattan Beach is really nice for a day of shopping, dining, and enjoying the beach, for example.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 55
7. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Here's a cartoon map of the local L.A. metro area that might help you get oriented:

…flickr.com/2695/4304287666_3f60e03695_o.jpg

Let's look at it together, shall we?

1. LAX is at the bottom of the map -- far from most of the metro area.

2. West Covina isn't even on the map (it's off of the eastern edge of the map, some distance away from L.A.

3. The very center of our metro area is Beverly Hills. Just to the east of that is "Central L.A." which is the area that has been referenced above a number of times. It is there, within a 1 mile / 1.6 km stretch of 3rd St, that you'll find 3 malls (Beverly Center / upmarket, Beverly Connection / outlet-discount, and the Grove / mid-range -- young fashions). There are lots of other individuals shops there as well along with dozens and dozens of restaurants in all price range, serving all types of food.

If shopping is your primary focus, then staying here would be a safe choice but it you plan to visit well-known attractions like Disneyland, you'll need to use caution before selecting a neighborhood for your hotel. Please tell us which specific attractions you plan to visit. There is no such thing as "the usual tourist sites".

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
8. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

With a rental car, the best area for shopping and sightseeing is probably The Grove and Beverly Center area.

I will throw in the Glendale/Burbank area because of the Glendale Galleria, Americana at Brand and Burbank Towne Center, but you certainly do not want to venture any further east. West Covina would be a huge mistake as would LAX.

There are dozens of major malls in the LA area. There is probably a major one every 10 or 15 miles.

Barbados
9. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Hey guys Thanks for all the replies....Never been to LA so I am basically clueless.

Yes we will have a rental car

Staying for over a week.

Nothing over $200 USD per night and we don't want to pay for parking. I have noticed that hotels in LA are very expensive. I saw a lot of reviewers comment and say that West Covina is close to shopping and I found great rates for hotels in that area and LAX (with free parking)so hence my choices

Thinking of Universal Studios , Walk of Fame that's as far as I got re itinerary ....wanna book hotel first.

Barbados
10. Re: Best area for LA vaca - Lax or West Covina?

Hi,

Yes safety is a major concern for me ...I was reading a few stories about the crime in LA and was getting a little worried. Figured LAX was very safe for tourists.