We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queenstown, New...
Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Hi Everyone,

We are travelling over from NZ.

As with any large city there are some undesirable areas that it's best to stay away from, as we are travelling with our 13 year old daughter we would like to know if there are any particular areas of LA that we should avoid, especially as we have some late nights out.

Crazy question.. but when driving at night, do you need to keep your car doors locked?

We are likely to be staying in the Culver City area and Eagle Rock. Visiting 1st week of June. I'm just wondering if there are specific areas to avoid, we will have a rental car.

Thanks

Edited: 8:35 pm, October 20, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Sorry but when we come to NZ ? Do we need to keep our doors locked ? Are we watching too many crime shows ?

All kidding aside LA is a large city and most visitors always go to the touristy parts of town. They go to. Hollywood and to Downtown LA to its museums and to the studio tours and to Griffith park and to Santa Monica so as long as one uses street smarts, does not go to isolated parts of town which are deserted, then one should be ok. One could be in Roma or in Milano or in Bangkok and behave and walk around flashing cameras and cell phones and be the target of thieves or one can be vigilant about such things

Oh by the way many not all cars auto lock after you reach a certain speed but that is indeed a very strange question

Now why Culver city . What made you want to stay there ?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
2. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

FYI, Santa Monica is not part of the city of Los Angeles, but its own city located in LA County, similar to Long Beach.

As mentioned above, use your common sense and not do stupid things. A couple of areas that come up that are not perfect, a small section of Downtown LA, and the "South LA" area near USC.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
3. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

I thought you were always supposed to keep your doors locked when driving a car?

Is it different in NZ?

If you tell folks where you are planning to be for those late nights out then they could let you know if they thought it was a good or a bad idea.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Most rental cars have the doors locked automatically when you start to drive ;-)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
5. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

The areas where 99% of tourists would go or drive through are safe. Like any large city LA has areas that are less than desirable and that I would avoid at night, for instance, especially if a solo female but these are not places where tourists would normally go in any case - the tourist attractions are not in these areas and you'd either have to get quite lost or intentionally go well out of your way to end up in them.

That said, feel free to put together a list of the attractions / places you want to visit and if there are any red flags, we'll tell you.

By the way, is there a particular reason you have for staying in Eagle Rock? In terms of its location relevant to most of the tourist attractions, its not particularly convenient.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
6. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Why Eagle Rock and Culver City?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
7. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

When you start to develop an itinerary, let us know what it is and we can help you with transit options and other advice that will keep you in safe areas.

I also have concerns with your lodging locations. While I like Culver City a lot, there is an area that I would never want to stay at, simply because it has very heavy traffic, which makes it terrible for walking. Not a lot of restaurant options, either. Let us know what hotel you plan to stay at there. If you provide your nightly budget, we may have better options for you, too.

8. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:49 pm, October 20, 2013
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
9. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

When you say Culver City, I will assume you mean the hotels near LAX that are next to the Westfield Mall, and called Culver City hotels. You don't want to stay there, it's inconvenient.

SoCal
reviews: 7
10. Re: Unsafe Areas of Los Angeles

Not a strange question if you do not live around a lot of people. I always lock my car doors where ever I go, "safe" areas or not. You are visiting an area with a population greater than your entire country, so there are all kinds of people everywhere. I would never drive in congested traffic or with traffic lights without my doors locked. On the freeway doing 65 I guess it does not matter. I immediately lock the door when I get in, every time.

Culver City is a reasonable enough drive to many tourist spots in the LA area. However, Eagle Rock seems quite out of the way but you may have your reasons.

If you provide a list of where you are going and point out which are late nights, we can be of greater assistance.