We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Flying in early morning 12/24. I have searched and searched and searched for hotels/locations to stay for the 5 day trip.

I am extremely picky and OCD-like, therefore, I was expecting to pay 150-200 per night BUT friends are wanting to pay only 89-120 max for hotel. They are also wanting to be away from attractions because of the expense and prefer to drive in, but also want a nice, clean hotel for the $! Everything in their range seems to have BAD reviews! Also, they don't mind the valley, even with suggestions to not stay there.

I want to see views of the city although not much time will be spent in a hotel and am willing to compromise but this is difficult. The consensus is that we WILL do some tours and I'd love to see some "stars" if possible. Are we off our rockers, or can this feat be accomplished?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
23,869 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Do NOT stay in Inglewood - under no circumstances. It is a terrible area. Tell your friends to save a little each week for the hotel because nothing exists in that price range, especially not at that time of year (Rose Bowl and Parade). Driving in makes no sense, not at all - why would you want to spend your vacation in a car?

Look in Hollywood, expect to pay in the $150/night range, and tell your friends that they have to raise their budget or risk being in a dangerous area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
2. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Okay! Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I was told Hollywood was seedy, too but whatever you suggest! Thanks again!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

No and another emphatic no. Which hotel is it exactly? Near Inglewood but much better in so many ways is the Four Points in Culver City. I see prepaid rates under $150 for your dates. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d218937-…

Edited... regarding your Hollywood comment, have you read the top questions on the right side of the page? There is a load of infor on areas to stay and how to choose a hotel.

Edited: 3:13 pm, October 06, 2013
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Yes, Inglewood is a terrible choice. Avoid it.

Here are a couple of inexpensive places to stay.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d657068-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32272-d1784957…

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
27,683 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

A third EMPHATIC "No!" for Inglewood. Stay in Hollywood. Have you looked at Hotwire.com's hotel section? They offer discounts on hotels but do not identify them by name until you book. (They DO provide approximate location, star-rating and lists of amenities for the hotels, however, so we can often identify the hotel beforehand).

I suggested that you include your city/country of residence with your screen name. Hotwire works a little bit differently overseas so it helps to know where you're from.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
6. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

I know there are hundreds, but are there any that you've frequented or that stand out in your mind to meet our needs?

I am looking at brands they've also thrown out, like Hilton, I prefer Marriot and Hyatt but can stay in any. I just want to enjoy the trip and be safe!

Perhaps there are some that are hidden gems that you are aware of. I have also been reading and searching hotel suggestions in other threads. Thank you

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
7. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

WOW! I just saw this! Thank you so much!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
8. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Yes, I read it but it just got too overwhelming for me! I will try it again. Thank you!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Tell us your itinerary or where you want to go. With that and your budget, the fine folks here can help narrow it down for you.

Edited: 3:37 pm, October 06, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
10. Re: Getting Overwhelmed! Should we just stay in Inglewood!

Okay, thanks! I feel so inadequate right now! I have to figure out how to add my location to the screen name later as requested.

General ideas

Budget: 89-120 per night at hotel

**will hire rental car

Attractions:

1. We want to drive the city of L.A, sightseeing in Calabasas, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and BelAir (Texan first timers)

2. Some touristy stuff: Walk of Fame, tours, museums, Madame Tussauds

3. Eat at popular restaurants: Roscoe's, Crustacean, LaScala, Nobu, Casa Vega, SUR, Mr Chow

4. Light shopping/Window : DASH, there's a popular shopping mall, the name escapes me

5. Beauty: Popular Nail Salon(Nail Clinique?) in Bev Hills and Anastasia

6. Athletic activities -attend game on 10/28 at Staples, watch Christmas Day game at any open bar or rec place

7. See Christmas lighting and activities