We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

I'm coming to new york from overseas and the gateway will be LAX. I'm wanting to bring some supplements in my checked luggage, such as zinc, chlorophyll, vitamin b. It's all natural and in fact some of it's made in the US :) so I'm guessing there is no problem and lots of people bring vitamins and supplements in and out?

The other thing is that I'd like to take advantage of the better deals and buy myself a really good kitchen knife. Again I'd be putting this into checked luggage and taking it out

Neither of these would be cause for concern right?

5 replies to this topic
Mi Wuk Village...
1. Re: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

No problems with those supplements if in original bottles. Odd herbal potions could be an issue. Do a search and see if they are available in the US. The knife won't be a problem in checked luggage. I would wrap it in cardboard so it don't damage your bag or clothes. TSA searches bags. If it slices one of them up they can be nasty.

Christchurch, New...
2. Re: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

Thanks for the tips. I was actually first considering to put the supps and pills into smaller containers to save space but it's a good point about keeping them in original bottles so its clear what they are.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
3. Re: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

I travel with my supplement out of the bottles in weekly pill boxes all the time. Never had problems but it doesn't hurt I suppose if you want to keep them in original labels. No problems with knife in checked bags.

Look here for details...

tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Edited: 12:43 am, August 18, 2013
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

even overseas.

Don't have room for all those big bottles of pills. I use the weekly pill box and keep them in my purse. My husband uses zip lock baggies, full of pills in his backpack. They have gone through the x ray machine and never been checked. The only time they opened his backpack was going to Hawaii, and he had a full bottle of sun screen, which was over 3 oz. and he had to toss it out.

A knife is another story. If checking a bag, wrap it in bubble wrap so no one gets hurt it they do check the suitcase.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
5. Re: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?

I also carry vitamins/supplements in a little plastic baggy that also has loose over the counter meds.

The only things I carry in original bottles are prescription meds.

Reply to: LAX: Any issues bringing these things in my luggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted