We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Seat in Taxi

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Torrance, California
reviews: 3
Car Seat in Taxi

My friend is coming from other country to Los Angeles. He is having a kid of 1 year. He will be coming from Airport to my place in taxi (yellow cab), but taxies do not have car seats I guess. Is it illegal ?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Car Seat in Taxi

Yes . I suggest you take sometime since you have a lot of questions to read the Top questions in the LA forum on the right side -- there is one on car seats and also in the Ca forum. Plenty of good info to help you

He can bring his child's car seat or you can purchase one for him or he can hire a limo and rent a car seat

TOP QUESTION Public Transit Info+Driving+Child Safety Seats

Edited: 12:00 am, June 21, 2013
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
2. Re: Car Seat in Taxi

At age 1 your friend's child will still be in a full car seat. They need to bring one from home on the plane, or check it as luggage, as they will be using it if you drive them around Torrance/Los Angeles.

If the child was old enough to be in a booster seat, I'd say go to Target and buy one at $19.99, to have ready for them, but they will need the larger, more expensive car seat they use in their car at home.

Torrance, California
3. Re: Car Seat in Taxi

I undertand that if I drive them back to home from Airport in my car, I would definitely require a child car seat as per law as well as safety.

But just curious, people who are coming from other countries, do they carry car seat in flight, so that they can put it in yellow cab ? Car seat is not mendetory in India, from they are coming.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
4. Re: Car Seat in Taxi

Yes people bring a car seat with them on the plane or rent one here. It does not matter if it is your car or someone else's car or cab. yellow cab, green cab or pink cab. While it is the law, it is also common sense and safety issue. It does not matter what the law is in another country, Since they are here in our country, they have to follow local laws.

As mentioned before, it is a TOP Question because it is something that parents have to worry about and plan. If they don't have one, you may want to borrow one from a colleague or family with kids for a few days or buy one if they are here for a long time.

---

California visitors with children under 8 years old need to be aware of recent changes in the California car seat regulations. If your child does not have a car seat, you might be stopped by police and fined $100-$250 or be denied boarding a van or taxi cab.

In a nutshell:

Infants from 0-1 years must be in the back seat strapped into a rear-facing car seat until they reach 20 pounds (9 kg)

Children between 1-8 years (or heaver than 20 pounds) must be in in the back seat (some exceptions apply) and strapped into either:

- A front-facing car seat with a 5 point harness until they reach the maximum height/weight limit for the seat

- A booster seat if under 4 feet 9 inches (1.45 meters) and over the height/weight limit for a car seat

- A regular seat belt in the back seat if taller than 4 feet 9 inches.

If you plan on traveling with children in California (or to other states with similar laws), you have several options:

Bring your car seats from home. Experts recommend using car seats on airplanes though some models may need to be checked in. Many visitors do this and it is often the preferred option if the additional luggage is not a concern. A good option may be an ultra-portable booster seat from BubbleBum®.

Rent car seats from the rental car company. You will need to request the car seat when you make the reservations and the rental charge is typically $8-$12/day. Some car rental companies offer free car seats for certain members (e.g. Hertz/AAA). This is the most convenient option -- unless the rental car seat doesn't quite fit your child or you do not trust the safety of rental car-seats.

Rent car seats from independent services (e.g. Babysaway or Travelingbaby and many more -- you can google car seat rental). The makes sense if you're not renting a car but still plan to drive around. The charges are typically a little lower and range from $6-$10 a day.

Buy a car seat while in California. It may be cheaper to purchase a new car seat than to pay the rental charges. This strategy carries some risks as you will need to take the time to find a store (e.g. Babies R Us, Target, or Walmart) to purchase the car seat and your child will not be able to legally (and safely) be in a moving car until you obtain one.

Take mass transit (e,g, bus, train or ferry) as they do not require car seats. Many have reduced fare options for children. For example, BART, SF MUNI, Los Angeles Metro and San Diego MTA are free for children under 5 years old; BART offers a $24 "red" ticket for only $9 for children 5-12 years old (purchase in person at the SFO airport Information booth located in each terminal or other select locations); San Diego MTA offers free fares for children 12 and under on weekends with paying adult.

Catch private buses (not van-taxis) to your destination. For example, there are many buses that serve Disneyland from nearby airports.

Travel with children can be very fun and educational. It just takes a little more preparation. Figuring out the logistics of the car seat is just one of the items that require some pre-planning.

Key Source: CA DMV Driver Handbook

Edited: 11:29 am, June 21, 2013
5. Re: Car Seat in Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 23, 2014