We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck to know what area to stay in..

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
2 posts
1 review
Stuck to know what area to stay in..

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching these forums for many months now and am just as confused as to where to stay as when I first started looking.

I am traveling with my mum. We are both totally unsure where to stay and what area is best for what we want to do and see.

Basically we want to spend no more than $200 total (including tax) per night. Of course as two females traveling we want to stay in a place that is safe and has a lot of close by eating options, shopping malls and ease of transport if we require it.

We have been looking at staying in hollywood area at the holiday express in but when looking for nearby places im not sure there is much around.

We are travelling towards the end of september for 4 nights.

Anyones help would be much appreciated.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Stuck to know what area to stay in..

The Hollywood and Highland area is a major tourist area, plus you have great access to the LA Metro Rail system.

If you don't have a car, and want a central location with lots to do within walking distance, and easy public transit. I would pick that area first, and then the Downtown LA area near Union Station as a second area.

I think you are over-thinking this...

Good luck!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
26,519 posts
61 reviews
2. Re: Stuck to know what area to stay in..

Have you looked at our TOP QUESTIONS box at the right side of this page? Included in the Box is a link called 'where to stay' which includes descriptions about each popular neighborhood. First, keep in mind that ALL of the popular neighborhoods have the following characteristics:

1. They're safe

2. They have dining options

3. They have shopping options

4. They have some kind of public transit available.

What sets the neighborhoods apart are:

1. Location (some are in the center of our city; some are near the sea; some are further inland -- away from the sea).

2. Price (some neighborhoods are more expensive than others)

3. The TYPE of nightlife can differ (for example, Hollywood has the large dance clubs).

The FIRST thing to do when selecting a neighborhood is to decide what you're itinerary will be. Without a car, you want to pick a neighborhood that is near your PARTICULAR list of attractions.

Our TOP QUESTIONS BOX has a section called 'what to do' which will get you started.

There is one particular thing you mentioned which got my attention: your desire to be near shopping malls. The BEST neighborhood for that is the 'Central L.A.' area (what some locals refer to as "Beverly Grove"). This area is bounded at the west by two malls: the Beverly Center (upmarket) and the Beverly Connection (outlet mini-mall); it's bounded on the east by the Grove (mid-range mall). There are dozens of dining options in all price ranges and styles of cuisine. There are no dance clubs or 'stand alone' bars (although some restaurants have bars inside).

The area is not touristy but it's fairly close to touristy locations, e.g. it's a 10-minute bus ride to central Beverly Hills and a 20-minute bus ride to Hollywood. The Farmers Market (an L.A. institution) is in this neighborhood.

For September, the best hotels to consider in this area (given your price range) are:

1. The Elan Hotel (solid 3-star property, close to the 2 westerly malls and lots of dining options). Link and SCROLL DOWN for reviews of this property:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d223041-…

2. The Sofitel (4-1/2 star hotel and spa):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d76083-R…

3. The Orlando Hotel (3-1/2 star boutique-style hotel):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d84561-R…

Good luck!

Gold Coast
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Stuck to know what area to stay in..

Thanks for your replies, I feel a little more at ease now.. I'll have a look into the places suggested.

Kym

4. Re: Stuck to know what area to stay in..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 23, 2014