We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th Advice Please

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 13
July 4th Advice Please

Dear friends,

My girlfriend and I will be staying in Hollywood for 3 days in July from the 2nd to the 5th.

Our plan was to go to Universal Studios on July 3rd and then go down to Santa Monica/ Venice Beach on the 4th. Having seen posts about traffic down to the beach on July 4th, I'm thinking of switching days - Santa Monica on the 3rd and Universal on the 4th.

Some advice from locals would be greatly appreciated.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: July 4th Advice Please

Yes, I'd switch days. The traffic along the beach areas will be packed on July 4th.

Do you have any interest going to the Hollywood Bowl for July 4th concert and fireworks? Even if the seats left are higher up, it's a great experience.

hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/…2013-07-02

London, United...
2. Re: July 4th Advice Please

Thanks for the advice. We've thought about the Hollywood Bowl show but we can't make our minds up!

I hadn't heard of Josh Groban before - will it be enjoyable regardless of the act??

I suppose I could just grab some cheap seats at the back.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: July 4th Advice Please

Yes, it's enjoyable regardless of the act,. Buy a picnic dinner, bring a bottle of wine, and enjoy the evening before the show starts.

The Groban show is 3 nights by the way, not just July 4.

Don't discard Santa Monica because of traffic. They have a great bus system that connects with the LA Metro system on multiple locations.

Dr. Z

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 176
4. Re: July 4th Advice Please

I wouldn't switch days! Some days of the year, like the 4th of July, are the kinds of days where we all like to celebrate together. Beaches are a big destination, yes. But the people watching opportunities!!!

I also like to see fireworks displays at the venue rather than some far away place. It almost feels lonely when you watch from afar as opposed to being right there among the happy revelers.

Great suggestion about taking a bus from drill-n-fill.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
5. Re: July 4th Advice Please

What were you planning to do on the 2nd? I'd probably try to avoid the beach and Universal on the 4th and the 5th - I'd try to do one on the 2nd and one on the 3rd.

6. Re: July 4th Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 12, 2014