We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stirling, Scotland
reviews: 3
Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Hi, staying in Santa Monica for 3 nights before moving on to Hollywood for a further 2 nights during a tour of the USA. My husband and i would have a suitcase each and would be leaving hotel in SM around 10/11am. Would you recommend a bus (think I read 704) or would that not be appropriate with 2 cases? Many thanks.

Palmdale, California
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 44
1. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Hello, beatz67, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Los Angeles forum.

Surprisingly, upon doing some checking around, there are no stated restrictions I found regarding MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) Los Angeles and passenger luggage. I know my regional transit bus agency, the AVTA (Antelope Valley Transit Authority) states that if your luggage blocks the aisle, you will not be allowed to board the bus.

My own personal preference, though, if it were me, would be to get a taxicab from Santa Monica to Hollywood. Figure on ~$40 plus tip for the ride. Here's a taxi fare calculator for the LA area: www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LA The clientele on board a transit bus from Santa Monica to Hollywood is not always the most upstanding kind, from what I'm aware of. Just a personal preference. . . up to you, of course.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your travels with us.

Stirling, Scotland
2. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Thanks for your reply. We will probably get a taxi. Thought it was worth checking out buses :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
3. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

What hotel to what hotel? Santa Monica is rather large.

I would take a taxi, but if you want to take the bus, we'd need the starting and ending points - SM to HWood is too vague.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
4. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

I ride the 704 fairly often and I have found my fellow bus riders to be perfectly fine. The route between Santa Monica and Hollywood passes through some extremely upmarket neighborhoods: Santa Monica, Brentwood, Century City, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. If it were me, I'd take the bus.

The 704's route begins in Santa Monica at the corner of Santa Monica Bl & Ocean Av so you should have no problem getting a seat and finding a place for your suitcase that is 'out of the way'. Besides, ridership will be low to moderate at that hour as the commuters and students will have already transferred to their destinations.

Edited: 12:52 pm, March 28, 2013
Stirling, Scotland
5. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Staying near 3rd street prom on broadway and the hollywood hotel is near hollywood/highland on north highland ave. Will probably just go for taxi.

Stirling, Scotland
6. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Hopskipjump, just noticed your reply! Bus sounding a good option then. Especially if we are at start of the line. Thanks.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
7. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

704 will drop you at Santa Monica Blvd. and Highland Ave., which is about 3/4 miles south of Hollywood Blvd. To avoid the walk, you may want to exit 704 at Santa Monica Blvd. / Fairfax Ave. and then take 217 or 780 north on Fairfax - these buses stop directly at Hollywood / Highland.

Stirling, Scotland
8. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

If we were to stay on 704 is it easy to hail a taxi to the hotel?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
9. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

No you cannot hail a taxi anywhere in LA. And no taxi would want to take you just one mile - which is too far to walk with luggage and too short for a cab. That's a long stretch from SM/Highland to Hollywood/Highland!

Stirling, Scotland
10. Re: Santa Monica to Hollywood with luggage

Lol! Well I don't fancy a long trek pulling my case in baking heat! I have a few ideas now. Shall speak to other half and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone :)