We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA - Theme Parks

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
LA - Theme Parks

Hi TP goodfellows

I intend to visit the 4 themeparks 6 days in LA: Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, Disneyland and Universal Studios. Any suggestion for itineary from LAX to these 4 places?

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
1. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Will you have a car? Where are you staying?

Singapore, Singapore
2. Re: LA - Theme Parks

No we don't drive.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: LA - Theme Parks

We don't know where to stay. Suggestion please.

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Was thinking of travelling from LAX to Knotts Berry Farm Resort (stay there for 4 nights) and spend a day in KB, then travel to Magic Mountain for a day, and next day to Disneyland, last day in KB again. Then we will move to Sheraton Downtown for 2 nights for a family event before heading home. At Sheraton Downtown, we may just snip around Hollywood to see Walk of Fame, the Kodak or Chinese Theatre etc. Not sure whether worth to go Universal Studio as it seems very faraway, if I am not wrong.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Btw I am travelling with a 13 yr old who loves exciting and terrifying roller coaster rides.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
6. Re: LA - Theme Parks

If you don't have a car, the best location is somewhere close to Disneyland.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29092-Anaheim_Califo…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g32420-Garden_Grove_C…

As for going to to other parks, Knott's is easy with local buses, others can be reached by Tour Buses...

http://tours.graylineanaheim.com/toursAna.cfm

www.starlinetours.com/anaheim-tours.asp

Edited: 9:27 am, March 26, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
7. Re: LA - Theme Parks

I would suggest in this case to stay in Hollywood, at least for the time at Universal and Magic Mountain. For the days at Disney and Knotts, it can be better to stay in Anaheim. In Holylwood, stay near the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. The Chinese Theater is here, and in front of the Chinese Theater LA's largest tour company, Star Line Tours (www.starlinetours.com) stages its tours. They offer transportation (or transportation+ticket) to all of the theme parks. Magic Mountain especially is difficult to reach on public transportation so the tour company is a good choice to get there. If you stay in Hollywood, you'll be a one-stop ride on the subway to Universal Studios. You can take the subway from here to downtown LA (near the Sheraton), and the subway from here can also be used as the first leg of the journey to reach both Knotts and Disney via public transportation.

Not sure what your hotel budget would be but hotels near the above location span a wide range of prices:

On the less expensive end, there's the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave. and the Liberty Hotel. Pricey hotels in the area include the Hollywood Roosevelt and the Loew's Hollywood. In between, there's the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Magic Castle Hotel, Best Western Hollywood Plaza, Orchid Suites, and The BLVD.

Edited: 9:45 am, March 26, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
8. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Maybe just stay in the Anaheim area. the Extended Stay America is a good choice for a low price option..

extendedstayamerica.com/property/extended-st…

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
9. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Can you look on Google Maps? You can see how far apart some of the theme parks are.

EG staying in Anaheim and going to Magic Mountain? I don't think so.

For Disneyland and Knotts, you can stay in one place, they are not that far apart. I would probably chose Anaheim over Buena Park.

For Universal Studios, that is easy to get to from Downtown Los Angeles and from Hollywood by public transit (Metro Red Line).

For Magic Mountain, there is limited public transit from North Hollywood or downtown Los Angeles, connecting to Santa Clarita Transit. You might want to post a separate question about this.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
10. Re: LA - Theme Parks

Look at www.metro.net and google maps public transportationoption. Almost impossible to get to Magic Mountain by public transportation, and certainly not feasible as a day trip from far away. If it's really important you go thre, suggest trying to take Metrolink commuter train (www.metrolinktrains.com) to Santa Clara and staying there the night before and after. I gather you have lots of money for all of the admission tickets, so be prepared to spend some on taxis, as well as other options, using the money you'd save on rental cars.

You might do a serch on Magic Mountain on this site, since some have reported group tours to MM from the metro L.A. area. One complained of the late arrival time.

Edited: 4:33 pm, March 26, 2013