We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 63
Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

Hey -- We finish one spring break trip (2013 was Las Vegas for two nights to see a concert and six nights / five days inSedona, AZ and now we are already planning a spring break trip for next year. We're doing bigger summer trips.

Anyway, what we are thinking is a four night / three day mini trip to LA area. Here are my initial thoughts. I appreciate any and all suggestions. My husband and I are in our 50s and will be with our son who is 17.

Thinking of staying four nights at the Hilton Garden Inn LA Hollywood as we'll have activities on two of our three days near there.

We'll arrive around 7 p.m. on a Saturday.

Day 1 - Sunday in March

Hollywood Walk of Fame

Chinese Theatre

Two Hour tour that goes by star homes -- leaves from Chinese Theatre

Relax at hotel

Annenberg Space for Photography museum (open 11 to 6 on Sundays) // DS (17) is really into photography

Day 2 -- Monday

Paramount Studio tour - do 9:30 a.m. two hour tour

Sana Monica Beach -- Segway Coastline tour - goes to Venice Beach too - do 2 p.m. 2 hour tour

Day 3 -- Tuesday

Disneyland (open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.) // DH really doesn't care for Disney, so might fly home a day early. I'll find out what he wants to do when I book air, but DH and I love the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, so have a tough time passing up Disneyland when it's so close by and we've never been.

(How long will it take to get to Disney from where we are staying do you think?)

Wednesday -- Fly home

Edited: 11:09 pm, March 25, 2013
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
1. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

If you''ll have a car, about 60 minutes if traffic is decent to get to Disney. Without a car, figure about 90 minutes to go via public transit.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
2. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

Hopefully you will have a car, makes it much easier to get around LA and over to Santa Monica.

It will take about an hour to drive to/from Disneyland.

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 63
3. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

Yes -- We're planning to have a car for the convienence, even though valet parking at the hotel is $32 a day. We'll plan to use it for Santa Monica and Disneyland and getting to and from the airport. I was guessing Disney will be about an hour away. I saw another recent post about driving there too. Sounds like I'll need to plan on being really patient and prepared in case we run into rush hour traffic and not surprised if we have delays. Might be another good reason for DH to fly home instead of going to Disney with us. lol -- I'll see what he decides.

For Disneyland I'm guessing it would be a good idea to stay at least late enough to avoid the heaviest rush hour traffic -- wait till 7 p.m. or so to leave (have dinner there). Would you agree? // DS will probably want to get to Disney right when they open as usually the first two hours of the day have the lightest lines, so I may hit the road at 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. to have time to park and be one of the early people in the park (based on the assumption of an 8 a.m. opening which I wll double check closer to the time of our stay).. I'll subscribe to and check the Unoficial guide to Disney to see how far in advance before opening they suggest to be there and leave an hour before that. For busy times they otten suggest getting to parks in Orlando an hour before opening and that works great. I'm guessing because of spring breaks, March will probably be classified as busy for Disneyland too. I'll look at the guide's adult touring plan for Disneyland highlights and probably use that just modifying that slightly based on our interest -- skipping things we don't want to see. The plans save a lot of time in line for the Oralndo parks, so we'll try a plan for Disneyland too.

I know we'll just have a five minute walk or so for the Hollywood walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre, and star house tour, so we'll hoof it for that.

For the Annenberg Space for Photography museum and Paramount Studio tour don't know yet the best way to get to these from where we are staying -- car, cab, public transportatton. Any suggestions? Should we use the car for these too, since we have it? We can ask at our hotel too. // Sounds like we'll be pretty close to the Paramount Studio place staying in the Hollywood area.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
4. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

Its up to you of course but you'll probably want to stay at Disney as late as possible anyway in order to maximize your time there. If you do that then by the time you leave evening rush hour traffic will have long since subsided.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

You have the right idea. Leave really early to be ahead of traffic, leave after dinner, you will have missed it. That's how locals do it. We know when to avoid the worst traffic. When on vacation you work around the heavy times on the freeways.

6. Re: Mini LA spring break trip 2014 // tentative itinary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 28, 2014