We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 58
Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

Hi all, thanks for all your help so far, currently sat on balcony in Laguna Beach watching/listening to the waves. Heading to LA on sat morning/lunch then off to Clippers game on sat night. I'm looking for a rooftop bar for either sunday or monday night for a couple of cocktails etc. Any suggestions? I'm staying at the BLVD Suites in West Hollywood.

From research, these are some of the bars/eateries I'm going to go to (not classy, but should have good beer, classy can come at the rooftop bar), this thread isn't about the below, but feel free to pass comment:

* LA Brewing Company

* District 13

* Frolic Room

* Roscoe House of Chicken & Waffles

* Baby Blues BBQ

* Largo or Laugh Factory

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 52
1. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

FYI, the Blvd Suites is in the Los Angeles neighborhood known as "Hollywood", not in "West Hollywood" which is its own city to the west of Hollywood. Just thought I'd warn you in case you're using a GPS system or taking a taxi.

Roscoe's is a very popular place so if you're visiting on a weekend or anytime close to lunch or dinner, you'll be waiting a while! I wouldn't go there for the beer, particularly.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

Ah, think that's my mistake, I don't think I will grasp how big LA/Hollywood/West Hollywood is until i get there, flew over downtown etc yesterday which gave me some scope. I will be coming to BLVD from Laguna on public transportation, got some good tips from you and others on how to do it.

Any recommendations on a rooftop bar by any chance?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
3. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

I like the rooftop bar at The Standard hotel in downtown LA. From the BLVD, you can walk south on Highland Ave to the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave., and from there take the subway to the 7th St. Metro Center Station. The Standard is a couple of blocks from there.

Another rooftop bar is the Elevate Lounge in downtown LA, a block or two from The Standard.

Another cool bar is The Edison, also in downtown LA. For this one take the subway to the Civic Center station and its a few blocks from there. The place looks like it might have come straight out of a Tim Burton movie - like a giant fantasical boiler room.

Manchester, United...
4. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

cheers Mach, The Standard has popped up a few times so may be the one. Please excuse this potentially stupid question, but if I'm looking for a rooftop bar, then is it a given I need to go downtown as Hollywood/West Hollywood etc is so flat? Just wasn't sure if there were a few taller buildings in this area.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
5. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

There are some taller buildings in West Hollywood and Hollywood. In fact I forgot about the rooftop bar atop the "W" hotel in Hollywood, but its pretty popular so can be difficult to get in. To get there, go to Hollywood / Highland, then subway one stop to Hollywood / Vine - the subway station is beneath the W hotel. Another alternative would be the Skybar at the Mondrian hotel in West Hollywood - its not a rooftop bar strictly speaking but its on the pool deck behind the hotel and it overlooks the city so almost as good.

Edited: 2:01 am, March 22, 2013
Manchester, United...
6. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

Cheers Mach, much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
7. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

The best views are from the Mondrian Hotel's outdoor bar, the Sunset Tower's bar, the Standard Hollywood's outdoor bar, and the London's rooftop bar - all along Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood. That's really where you should go, although the other bars noted downtown are good (and add Perch to the list). I don't like the Standard downtown's views as much as I love the views from Sunset Strip.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
8. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

Strictly on the dining choices, LA Brewing Co is okay, but no better than your average Yard House Restaurant and not as good as Slater's 50/50 (if you are in a location to be close to a Slater's, there are only a handful). I wouldn't make a special trip to go to LA Brewing.

District13 I am not overly impressed with, Blue Palms Brewhouse would be my choice for beer & food in Hollywood, Wirsthaus has better food than either, but their draft beer is all German, a novelty for LA, maybe not for the UK.

Frolic Room is fun as dive bars go, one of the more fun dives in Hollywood.

Baby Blues BBQ is about as good of BBQ as you'll find in Hollywood/West Hollywood, Bludso's is good too, but LA's best BBQ is in South LA.

Love Roscoe's, but I'd go at an off time, like a late lunch or early dinner.

Largo or Laugh Factory? I prefer The Improv, which has launched a ton of careers.

9. Re: Rooftop Bar & Other Bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 24, 2014