We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in LA?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 3
Hotel in LA?

We will be in LA for 4/5 days in December of this year. We won't have a car. We want to stay in Beverly Hills or Hollywood. Which area would you recomment? We would like to be able to walk around the area at night, to find restaurants etc. We have been looking at L'Ermitage (?) in Bev Hills, also The Mosaic and the Beverly Hilton (all near Rodeo Drive). Travel Agent has suggested Beverly Garland which I understand is away from Rodeo Drive. We are a married couple with a 13 year old son. We will be visiting theme parks (as the trip is for him) plus doing a few other things around LA. We don't want to stay in Anaheim. Our budget is about $300 a night. L'Ermitage is a bit more than we can afford but looks like a lovely street and area. Any thoughts on The Mosaic? We are flying in from Australia so will have considerable jet lag and would like to catch up on sleep for the first day or two, so we would like quiet hotel rooms in a nice area where we can walk around in the sunshine and enjoy window shopping and eating at nice casual restaurants. Many thanks for all of your help. Aussie023.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
1. Re: Hotel in LA?

First, fire your travel agent. The Beverly Garland is no where near Beverly Hills - the "Beverly" in the name is because the hotel is named after the actress Beverly Garland, who once owned the hotel, not because its in Beverly Hills.

As for where to stay, especially with theme parks in mind Hollywood is a better choice - public transit access there tends to be a bit better than in Beverly Hills (though Beverly Hills is not horrible, especially somewhere like the Beverly Hilton which is adjacent to two major bus lines) and its also a big tour bus hub. Plus, Beverly Hills is somewhat shut down after dark (restaurants are open, but shops are not and foot traffic is minimal) whereas Hollywood is active into the late night. In Hollywood with your budget, I'd probably start with the Loew's Hollywood, and then look to the Roosevelt or the "W" Hollywood after that. Beverly Hills would fit your description of a quiet area a bit better, however.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
2. Re: Hotel in LA?

I suggest looking in Santa Monica so that you can walk to restaurants after sightseeing (and before) and just generally relax in the area on foot. Will you have a car?

Your travel agent seems clueless about the area. Did you read our FAQs? Did you read the Top Questions? Look to the right of your screen.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: Hotel in LA?

If you want to do a few days at Disneyland, plus Knott's Berry Farm, how about the Ayres Orange, across the street from The Outlets at Orange, very nice, highly rated property hear at TA. Freeway close, central location...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32825-d217225-…

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
4. Re: Hotel in LA?

Beverly Hills, while a lovely, upmarket neighborhood is very quiet at night. The shops close at 6 pm and the restaurants (which are scattered in the downtown area) are mostly expensive -- not what I would call "casual dining".

Add to that, L'Hermitage and the Beverly Hilton are at the east and west ends of Beverly Hills, respectively, so you're going to be walking 10 minutes or so before you begin to come upon dining and shopping. These hotels are really more suitable for visitors with cars.

The Mosaic is more centrally-located in Beverly Hills so I would pick that hotel if you were determined to stay in BH. You've been a little vague about the attractions you'll be visiting. Besides, the theme parks (which ones, btw?), you've made reference to doing "a few other things around L.A." What attractions are you referring to?

Most importantly, will you have a car? We can't recommend a neighborhood unless we know where you're going to be spending your time and how you plan on getting there. For example, if you plan to visit the Disney Parks and/or Knotts, how many days will you spend at these Parks? They're located outside of the city and county of L.A. so it might make sense to stay near the Parks during your time there if you plan to spend more than a day.

Hollywood is the neighborhood we most often recommend to visitors who won't be driving (and for those who will be visiting the theme parks since it's centrally-located for these via public transit). A less touristy option is to stay in the neighborhood locally referred to as Beverly Grove which is on the eastern border of Beverly Hills, bounded at the west by the massive Beverly Center and Beverly Connection Malls and on the east by the Grove Mall and Farmers Market. In addition to the malls themselves, this area is 'up late' and is packed with dining and shopping of all kinds and in all price ranges. You can definitely walk here!

Some better hotels to consider are the Sofitel, Elan and Orlando. Here's a map of the area followed by a list of the hotels, there, reviews of those properties and offers from popular online travel services for available rooms (click the yellow 'price your stay' button next to each hotel's listing for this).

http://tinyurl.com/ce43vlz

(Enter your travel dates in the left-hand column along with the number of people traveling and click search. The map and list below will update. Scroll down for reviews and available room offers).

The Softiel (most similar to L'Ermitage as far as star-rating) is often 'on sale' on Howire.com -- look for the unnamed 4-1/2-star hotel in "Beverly Hills-West Hollywood". Be careful as there are 3 hotels that fall under this description:

1. The Sofitel

2. L'Ermitage (a lovely hotel but, as stated, a little bit 'out of the way'. Of course, if you get it at a discounted price, you'll be able to afford short taxi rides to the adjacent neighborhoods and if you'll be hiring a car, then there's no problem).

3. The London on the Sunset Strip -- also a lovely hotel but not the greatest neighborhood for public transit or for kids.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 66
5. Re: Hotel in LA?

As others have mentioned, BH is not so good without a car. You mention theme parks and say you don't want to stay in Anaheim - but without a car, going back and forth to Disney is very time consuming (it bad traffic it can be time consuming with a car). If you plan to spend more than 1 day at Disney or Knotts, you really should consider splitting your stay and staying in that area for your park visits. There are some very nice hotel properties in the area. Then stay in LA for the time you plan to visit sites in LA proper. Perhaps Hollywood or Santa Monica - depending on what you want to see/do.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 339
6. Re: Hotel in LA?

So let's see if I have the facts right...... the trip is for your son and is going to be theme park based, but you won't have a car and don't want to stay in Anaheim where the second and thirteenth most popular theme parks in the world are but deal with public transportation to Anaheim and back for two days? (because two days is the minimum you'd need).

Now Aussie023, did I steer you right with the Outrigger Reef?? Trust me on this, spend your first 2 nights at least in Anaheim for easy access to Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Maybe even a third night and then move to Hollywood where you have good public transportation. You can move from Anaheim to Hollywood using the train and subway systems.

To get from Hollywood to Disneyland on public transportation would require a subway ride to Union Station, change to a train to Anaheim or Fullerton and then a bus or cab ride to the park, it is probably close to a two hour process each way. It would be even longer from West Hollywood or Beverly Hills.

Australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Hotel in LA?

Thanks everyone!! Very helpful. We are actually spending 4 weeks in the US and the first 4 days are in LA. We will not have a car. We are going to Disneyland for only one day, so that is why we don't want to stay in Anaheim. We weren't going to bother wtih Knott's Berry Farm, unless you think we really need too. We are going to do Disneyland one day, Universal Studios one day, Hop on/Hop off bus one day and I am not sure what we will do on the other day. I stayed in Anaheim 20 years ago, so this time I want to stay somewhere different. It sounds as though Hollywood might be a better choice for us? I will read through what you have all suggested tonight and I will make notes!! scottca075....was it you who recommended the Outrigger Reef in Hawaii? Yes, it was excellent....thank you so much!! We had the most wonderful time and we would like to go to Hawaii again soon (we tried to include it on this trip but it was going to add too much money). We'll chase that rainbow another day..... Back to LA....if anyone has any other thoughts, please let me know. We don't need 5 star accommodation, but we don't want to be disappoined with old, tired, not very well kept accommodation...if you know what I mean. I know it is hard to find the 'perfect' place and different things suit different people, but I've found in the past that if you do your research, you are usually pretty happy on arrival!! Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Aussie.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 339
8. Re: Hotel in LA?

Since the Disneyland Resort is two parks, Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure, I do think you need more than one day, but I'll leave you to that research.

Without a car in LA you are best off near the Hollywood & Highland Center. Nice, moderate hotels in that area are the Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood and Holiday Inn Express. The higher end hotels are the Loews Hollywood Hotel, Roosevelt and W Hollywood, you might check if they have specials if you are early in December, but the later in December you go, the more expensive they will be.

I really wouldn't contemplate hotels in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood (other than close to the Beverly Center) without a car. The public transportation is more limited in those areas. Near the Beverly Center you might look at The Elan and The Orlando Hotel.

Calgary, AB
reviews: 77
9. Re: Hotel in LA?

Aussie,

I survived in LA for 4 months without a car, but I was working there so people were fighting over who got to car pool with me to work so they could drive in the HOV lanes!!!

I'd agree with some of the other comments.

Santa Monica would be an excellent choice. The 3rd street promanade has loads of restaurants and shopping.

Manhattan Beach would be an excellent choice and there's a very nice hotel in the downtown, lots of restaurants, the pier and a beautiful walkway along the beach.

I got to Disney Land and back by bus (from La Habra) 30 years ago, but as I remember it's a slow trip. While the metro goes to Universal Studios I don't believe you can get to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm on metro. If you don't want to stay at a theme park there's a Hilton Suites hotel in Orange, a mile or two from Disneyland, and I think they have a shuttle that goes there - they did 10 years ago. It's a nice hotel. I beieve it's walking distance to a big shopping / restaurant complex called "the block ar Orange" that has everything you need.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
10. Re: Hotel in LA?

Manhattan Beach is great but not a good place to stay without a car if you're going to tour around LA - public transit access there is too inconvenient especially to places like Disneyland.

Edited: 2:46 pm, March 20, 2013