We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Question

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY, NY
reviews: 1
LAX Question

I am flying through LAX this Sunday the 24th and have a 3 hour layover. My flight lands at 1:40pm and then next leg leaves at 5pm. I have a local friend who's meeting at the airport so we can hang out for a bit before my next flight. My luggage will be checked through, so I don't have to deal with anything, just walk off the plane and hopefully into his car. My question is if anyone can guide me on how long I can safely be out of the airport, but still make my flight. I'm using my AA miles and flying first class, and not sure if there's a priority security line there. (I've been stuck in major security lines their in the past, so don't want to chance anything.) The sites I've checked say anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 hours- but they all say it can depend on the day and time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, right now I'm leaning towards returning around 3:45.

Thank you!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
1. Re: LAX Question

I think there is a separate security line for AA passengers at LAX, but call AA and verify with them. it ought to be much quicker if there is the separate line. With all of the sequester stuff its hard to say now how long it will take but so far haven't been hearing any horror stories from LAX. In any case I'd try to be back at a bare minimum 75 minutes before departure. That doesn't really give you a lot of time - I might suggest heading to the Encounter restaurant / bar that's in the "flying saucer" looking building in the middle of all the terminals for a quick drink.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
2. Re: LAX Question

AA has a Priority Access lane for First Class and frequent fliers with status. I like the 75 minutes suggested above as it allows you to get to your gate with no rush. The bare minimum would be 60 minutes. I wouldn't go less than that.

NY, NY
3. Re: LAX Question

Thanks for the quick responses! I will call AA to double check but 3:45 it is!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: LAX Question

If you feel you will be out at the curb by 2 PM, and want to get out of the airport for an hour, you could have your friend take you around the corner to the north, to get an In-N-Out Burger. I know you don't have those on the east coast.

http://www.in-n-out.com/

We phone our "ride" to come and get us when we land, and they arrive the same time we are standing outside in front of baggage claim. LAX does have a waiting place for vehicles if that is your plan and he lives a distance away.

The restaurant address is :

9149 Sepulveda Blvd.

Westchester (LA)

If your friend lives in CA, he knows about the secret menu. Just order what you want from below, and they will make it up for you:

http://badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

My favorite is the Animal Style Cheeseburger, and Neapolitan Shake.

Edited: 7:34 am, March 19, 2013
NY, NY
5. Re: LAX Question

Hi CAnative-

Unfortunately I am all too familiar with the In-N-Out by the airport (It's usually either the first or last place I go before LAX.) and the "secret" menu. I will definitely try a Neapolitan shake though, the next time I'm in one! I'm hoping lunch will be Mexican though, I'm desperately in need of some good tortillas and margaritas!

Thanks!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
6. Re: LAX Question

Get thee and your friend over to Paco's Taco's for lunch then - its maybe 1/2 mile from the terminals at LAX. The Queso Fundido comes with fresh tortillas made by hand in the restaurant - oh soooooo good. Everything else there is pretty good but my favorite is the Chicken Chimichangas.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
7. Re: LAX Question

Ah, you should have mentioned you wanted Mexican food. I was trying to show you that you had a little time to get outside of LAX. Paco's Taco's is the place for you. Have fun.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
8. Re: LAX Question

Why are you driving anywhere? Banking on your friend being able to wait (possibly risking a ticket) for you so you can drive someplace nearby to eat or something else? I have to admit I'm not an In-N-Out burger (or any other fast food burger) fan, so I don't see the sense in doing that.

I'd probably ask my friend to meet me at the terminal and eat either in the food court at the Tom Bradley Terminal next to the AA terminal (not just fast food) or eat over at the Encounter restaurant in the iconic spider-shaped building in the center of LAX. If service is slow or the meal takes longer than expected for other reasons (maybe even your arriving flight is late and you have less time than anticipated), you can head back to the termnal (after leving him money for the meal, of course, if that's the arrangement). Less worrying about the time you have left. Encounter opens at 11 a.m. Restaurant in the TBIT open at least as long. http://www.encounterlax.com/

Edited: 3:38 pm, March 19, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
9. Re: LAX Question

p.s. I like good Mexican food, but I wouldn't personally regard it as worth the hassle involve in going someplace outside the airport. Your call, of course!

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
10. Re: LAX Question

Have your friend get some good Mexican take out and meet you at the airport. Kill two birds with one stone.