We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA in August - Where to stay?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Valletta, Malta
LA in August - Where to stay?

Hi,

We are a couple driving down the west coast in mid-August for 22 days in (total including flights from Europe)

My question is what is the best place to stay in LA at this time?

I am finding it hard to decide between St. Monica, (such as Shutters on the beach) Beverley Hills(maybe Beverly hills hotel) or West Hollywood (W HOLLYWOOD or Mondrain).

If it is Beverly Hills / West Hollywood which is the most central place to stay in?

Is it better to stay on the coast and then venture up to Beverly Hills / Hollywood etc or the other way around?

We want to do a bit of everything beach, the sights, universal studios...

__

Other info

The itinerary is as follows:

Napa (2 nights)

San Fran (3 nights)

Monterey (1 or 2 nights)

Santa Barbara (2 nights)

LA (3/4 nights)

San Diego (2 nights)

and then flying to Vegas.

Thank you very much for your help!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 58
1. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

Beverly Hills and West Hollywood tend to be a bit more central than Santa Monica, which is a beach area and so is necessarily on the far west end of the city. Santa Monica is, however, the most central of the beach areas and a very do-able place to base yourself with a car.

In August, it can be hot, and the further inland you are, the hotter it can be. So Santa Monica will most likely have the most comfortable weather at this time of year. However, if you're going to be out and about site-seeing all day, this may not be such a big advantage.

In any case, Shutters is a great, great hotel, very classy, and its right on the beach in Santa Monica, which is beautiful. If cost were not a consideration and I were visiting LA, I'd almost certainly chose Shutters or Casa Del Mar which is next door. But that is my taste, may not necessarily be yours.

Beverly Hills is a very nice area as well, and the Beverly Hills Hotel is deservedly famous and iconic.

Mondrian is also great, it is on the Sunset Strip portion of Sunset Blvd. which is a big nightlife area. The "W" Hollywood is actually in Hollywood itself, not West Hollywood. Its only a few years old and is a really nice hotel, trendy and a "party central" type of place. Shutters and the Beverly Hills Hotel are less "party" and more "classy" I think.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 178
2. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

Whether or not you wish to stay near the beach depends on what you plan to do in LA. In August, I would stay in Santa Monica because it is typically our best beach weather and my preference is to stay near the beach. It is when the beach towns really shine, and beach towns are a big part of the California experience.

If your plans put you inland more often, then your Beverly Hills locations could be better.

Another consideration is what to do in the evening. Santa Monica is extremely walkable with plenty of streets full of restaurants and shops, so nighttime will be more vibrant. Beverly Hills does not seem to have that experience; if you stay there, you will find the sidewalks pretty empty in the evening. People tend to drive to a restaurant, leave their car with a valet, and leave at the end of their meal with no other stops. There aren't really any streets with a good pedestrian presence.

Rancho Santa...
reviews: 9
3. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

Given you're here in August, consider taking in a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. A summer concert here is a quintessential L.A. experience.

hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/…

HTH

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
4. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

I'd select either Shutters which, as stated, is a classy, beautiful place or the Beverly Hills Hotel (which could be described in a likewise manner). Santa Monica is more walkable (In and around the hotel); the Beverly Hills Hotel is more central (it's a 5-minute taxi ride to the Sunset Strip -- east of the hotel -- or to downtown Beverly Hills -- south of the hotel -- for dinner/nightlife although nightlife is better on the Sunset Strip (which is in West Hollywood, btw) and neighboring Hollywood.

Santa Monica has good nightlife as well but no large dance clubs (like Hollywood) and fewer live music venues (like West Hollywood, and Hollywood).

Los Angeles...
reviews: 21
5. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

It is usually hot in August. Try to find someplace close to the beach. Shutters would be great.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 22
6. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

Shutters is an ideal hotel and perfect for August.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
7. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

Shutters is my favorite hotel, and I'd make reservations soon, to get the room category you want for August. The sunsets will be beautiful from the beach/hotel. Wonderful to take walks along the beach, walk to restaurants, shopping.

Drive to the sites you want to see, and you'll be refreshed coming back to Santa Monica.

8. Re: LA in August - Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 21, 2014