We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Coming with my family including a 13 year old. I am wondering where to stay and what to do. Family wants to visit Hollywood, Sunset Boulevard, and Disneyland only for a day? Also wondering if we can go for a day to San Diego. Is it doable? Any advice appreciated.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
1. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Are you planning to rent a car? By car, Anaheim (Disneyland) is about an hour south of the main parts of LA (areas like Hollywood, West Hollywood, etc.). San Diego is about 2 1/4 hours south of these same parts of LA by car, and about 90 minutes south of Anaheim.

Personally I would not really suggest San Diego as a day trip from somewhere like Hollywood as that's a lot of driving that day. It makes a bit more sense as a day trip from somewhere like Anaheim. So perhaps in your case it would make sense to stay somewhere like Hollywood / West Hollywood for 2 nights, then stay in Anaheim 2 nights, one night for Disney and the other for San Diego day trip.

If you won't have a car, this becomes a bit more complex. The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner stops in downtown LA (Union Station), Anaheim / Fullerton (Disneyland) and in San Diego, so you can use it to get between the three places. Metrolink also runs trains on the same track, but they only go to downtown LA and Anaheim / Fullerton - they don't go all the way to San Diego. You can take the subway from Hollywood (good place to stay in LA with no car) to Union Station - about 30 minutes. The Amtrak train takes about 3 hours between downtown LA and San Diego.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
2. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Start by reading our Top Questions on the right of your screen, particularly What to Do and Where to Stay. Read our FAQs at the top of the LA forums, as well. This will kickstart your research and answer your broad question.

What is your budget per night for a hotel? How many rooms? Will you have a car?

You do know that Disneyland is an hour from LA, and San Diego is several hours from LA, each way? Would you recommend someone go to NYC for the day when visiting a few days in Boston?

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
3. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

How many days will you be visiting? Why San Diego?

Boston...
4. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Yes I would have a car.

My budget is 125 to 150 per night for hotel stay.

I like Hollywood / West Hollywood for 2 nights, then stay in Anaheim 2 nights, one night for Disney and the other for San Diego day trip. I have been to Walt Disney Wold, FL many times. So I may forget Disney land and may opt out for more time in LA including Santa Monica. I may stay in San Diego for a night. I have few more questions:

1. Do I need car for all four days?

2. How far is Santa Monica from Hollywood hotels by car?

Some people told me to stay at airport and visit by car LA and Santa Monica area? Is it doable? Thanks for your help.

Boston...
5. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

four nights. My son was in San Diego and he loved it. He recommended it that we must visit it if we have a chance.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
6. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

You are only here for four nights AND one of those days/nights will be at Disneyland. Why not stay in Anaheim? It will make a day trip to San Diego easier. If you go to SD, skip the zoo, please! It has seen better days. Both Sea World and the Wild Animal Park are fun. From Anaheim, you can day trip to LA as well.

Don't stay near the airport. The area is ugly, no good opportunities to walk to restaurants, etc.

If you decide to stay in LA, Hollywood is the most economical area.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
7. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

San Diego is a wonderful city and worth a visit. With only 4 days, however, you're going to be rushing around a little. Up to you.

I'd keep the car. You'll need it for SD, if you decide to go there and if you're looking at Hollywood (which is away from the coast) and Santa Monica (which is on the coast) you'll have an easier time of it if you drive. Remember, you'll need round trip airport transfers if you won't have a car and that can add up (and take longer than driving).

Santa Monica to Hollywood by car is about 35 minutes WITHOUT TRAFFIC. During 'rush hours', that time can stretch to 60 or more minutes.

Ugg, don't stay at the airport. Unlike Boston, our airport is truly 'in the middle of nowhere'. There's nothing to see or do there. Is it doable? Sure. Would I recommend it? No. Besides, it's not near Hollywood (and not that close to SM -- about 25 minutes).

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
8. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Could you bring some Legal Seafood Clam Chowder? I'll meet you at LAX. Thanks.

BTW, just a warning. Dunkin Donuts coffee is virtually unknown here. Better bring a few thermoses.

Boston...
9. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

Thanks. Looks like I am going to stay in Hollywood. I may take a day trip to Santa Monica and if possibleone day trip to San Diego also. I do not want to go to the Zoo. Thanks agian

Boston...
10. Re: First time to Los Angles for four nights ”

I will be coming from SF and I will be there for a week. Clam chowder will be yucky by that time :(