We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Tunnels

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 1
Walking Tunnels

Ok here's a random one for the seasoned Angelenos!

Around where I live I've noticed two walking tunnels that go under Olympic. One is on Carillo (basically Crescent Heights) - it runs north to south under Olympic. The other is Olympic and Selby (again, north to south, under Olympic). You can see the entrances to them on Google Maps.

Does anyone know if there are others like this here on the West Side? I'm curious how these locations were chosen and not other intersections? It seems like a good idea - I wonder why there aren't more of them!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: Walking Tunnels

I know of a few that go under Santa Monica Blvd near Century City - the old bomb shelters. You'll find them also under where the old Red Line used to run, under where the tracks were (along Santa Monica and along Olympic) and also all around Downtown LA

…kcrw.com/shortcuts/underground-tunnels-in-l…

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 16
2. Re: Walking Tunnels

The first one is there because there's a public school on the corner and it gives the kids a way to avoid that massive intersection.

The second is there because if you continue across Olympic up Selby it takes you to a large playground, again, the tunnel is there so the kids can avoid crossing Olympic (a very wide street). Crossing a block over at Overland would give you a traffic signal so no tunnel is needed

Now go ask yourself why someone whos moniker is LiveInNewJersey would know this?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 176
3. Re: Walking Tunnels

Yep, back when LA had money, there were more pedestrian friendly walking routes. Santa Monica used to have a great bridge that linked the high school to downtown. It was convenient for those of us on the south side of the city and cut off a lot of walking time along the boulevards. When the freeway was widened, the bridge was removed in the 1990's.

Of course, there are stairs throughout the city for pedestrians, too:

communitywalk.com/los_angeles/…434719

Los Angeles...
reviews: 69
4. Re: Walking Tunnels

Yoga - that is a great link! Thanks!

5. Re: Walking Tunnels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 02, 2014