We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Hello all - I have been reading this great forum for good ideas and advice for our upcoming trip to Los Angeles from March 1-6. We will be staying in Santa Monica. With the help of a dear friend who lives there I have been firming up the itinerary but there is too much to do on Saturday so I would like your advice. We have booked the Broadway Walking Tour with the Los Angeles Conservancy (only offered on Saturday). It begins at 10am and the ticket says it can last for 3 hours. Can't wait! There are a lot of other things we want to see downtown but we also want to tour the Neutra VDL Studio and Residences www.neutra-vdl.org (2300 Silver Lake Blvd) and the last tour starts at 2:30. So we will rush (?) over there because this is the only day we can visit. After that there is the option of a pretty pricy tour of the Stahl House www.stahlhouse.com (1635 Woods Drive) starting at 5:15. So my questions are - are the distances between all of these too far to consider in the 1 day. Also considering that the Stahl House will cost $50.00 per person - has anyone done this? What is your opinion? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Rancho Santa...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

This is a little more hurried than I would like. But, I sense this is a pace you're accustomed to. I'd recommend plenty more to see in downtown archtecturally. But, you can return another time. It isn't as if you can see and do all of downtown in a single day.

I think time-wise your plan is perfectly doable. I'd use Sunset to travel from downtown to Silverlake and then to West Hollywood. The 101 is an unpredictable stretch of freeway. Also, Sunset is a very interesting street from downtown to West Hollywood.

Have fun.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
2. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

These three are not really that far apart, especially for a Saturday when traffic will be light. You've got an hour and a half between the first tour and the 2nd, which should be plenty of time. Not sure how long the 2nd tour is, but if its say two hours that would leave you plenty of time to get to the Stahl house.

I haven't been to the Stahl house but I did tour John Lautner's Sheats/Goldstein house a few years ago and it was very much worth it.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Thanks for the advice. Yes we do plan to return to downtown. On the list is the train station, Olvera St., Grand Central Market, Angels Reach. Anything else you recommend?

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
4. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Plenty of time to get to Neutra (I think you should be able to get on an earlier tour than 2:30, try to park on Broadway near the first tour's ending point). Are the Neutra tours on fixed schedule or do they leave on demand? It looks from the website like you don't need a reservation unless you are a group and the tours only take half an hour, so .

Even if traffic is bunged up in Hollywood you should be able to get to Stahl house within an hour. Be sure to have good directions as it's easy to get lost up in the hills.

I can't help decide if anything is "worth it" for anyone else, but it is kind of pricey! Have you considered seeing something like Hollyhock House and/or the Anderton Court shops by FLW? Or are you a mid century modern person?

Edited: 2:21 pm, February 21, 2013
california
Destination Expert
5. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Since it looks like you're interested in Architecture, here are two EveryTrail guides I wrote for DTLA

everytrail.com/guide/downtown-art-architectu…

everytrail.com/guide/downtown-olvera-street-…

You can search EveryTrail for other guides as well.

Edited: 2:30 pm, February 21, 2013
Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

thanks for the tips! We would have visited Hollyhock but I think its closed for restoration :( Will check out the Anderson Court Shops - I didnt know about them. We arent strictly MCM fans but the Neutra property and Stahl House seem pretty interesting and beautiful. We live in Toronto so we dont see a lot of this type of house.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

this is really good - thank you!

california
Destination Expert
8. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

Too bad re HH :(( I see the website says mid 2013.

I was lucky in the 1970s to tour of most of the FLW houses in LA, including many that are not open now or are private, eg Sturges house. That's how I learned of Anderton Court.

If you ever get to Arizona, Taliesin West is a must see.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
9. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

If you have more time and are interested in the California version of Craftsmen architecture circa 1910, you might want to plan a day in Pasadena. You could take in the Gamble HOuse, and visit the nearby Norton Simon Museum, which is a smaller museum with some of LA's best collections.

www.gamblehouse.org

www.nortonsimon.org

10. Re: Too Much To Do On Saturday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 23, 2014