We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Doorman

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 6
Tipping Doorman

Been here 3 weeks and getting used to this Tipping thing. In CA most places auto. add between 17% and 20%, seems to be creeping up.

Now at a 5 star hotel, do you tip the door-man, I mean the guy that opens the Hotel door and/or gets you a cab?

Edited: 8:26 pm, February 19, 2013
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Tipping Doorman

Not another tipping question. Have you searched the forum for answers trust me this is asked a dozen times

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
2. Re: Tipping Doorman

Oh, come on belomiser! I don't even know the answer to this particular question! I would imagine, No, but am not sure.

I'm surprised to learn that California is adding mandatory tipping; I've only heard of it on large parties, usually 6 or more.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
3. Re: Tipping Doorman

I do have an opinion but others will too so and so do you LOL. Hence I felt it was a well argued and commented topic.

I think We both can agree that there is a grey area with all these various should we or should we not tip questions hehe

Edited: 8:55 pm, February 19, 2013
Australia
4. Re: Tipping Doorman

Yeah I searched. But nothing specific. Sorry but maybe it would have been quicker for you to give me an answer than to go into a lecture about searching.

Australia
5. Re: Tipping Doorman

Well put it this way.... "Would you tip in this circumstances". I guess I could stand around the lobby and see what the locals do.

Edited: 8:58 pm, February 19, 2013
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
6. Re: Tipping Doorman

I would say this: Regarding these types of simple services, I tend to tip if the person has done something above average. In other words, if the doormen simply open the doors and grunt "good morning", I wouldn't tip but if they're friendly, a little conversational "Nice weather we're having! Have a great day", I'd throw some money their way. If there's one in particular, tip him/her at a rate of a $1 or $2 per day. If they're all tip-worthy, walk over to the station where the doorman gather (if there is one) and tell them 'thank you, this is for you gents!'

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
7. Re: Tipping Doorman

Here is the TA article on tipping

It is hard to search and post on a cell phone but I found this one by searching and doing some tricks.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-Stat…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
8. Re: Tipping Doorman

A couple of bucks ($2) to the person who gets you a cab, but nothing for just opening a door.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
9. Re: Tipping Doorman

Oh, c'mon you guys.

You do not tip the doorman for opening the door for you.

You tip him, or any hotel employee, who hails a cab for you. A couple of dollars will do.

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
10. Re: Tipping Doorman

No. This tipping thing has to stop somewhere. If it's pouring rain and the doorman ran out into a busy street, risking life and limb, to flag down a taxi for me, then yes I'd tip $5.00. Otherwise if he just wave his arm and a taxi from the queue drives up, no.