We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Griffith Park

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Hiking Griffith Park

Hi, my girlfriend and I are visiting from Canada on the first weekend of May and we want to do this hike on Saturday:

timeout.com/los-angeles/…

Just wondering what the best time of day to go is, 9am? noon? 3pm?

Thanks

Los Angeles...
reviews: 69
1. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

The parking is very limited so if you will be driving, bear that in mind. Early would be better in that case. But we have this May Gray/June Gloom thing happening here where the marine layer is heavy in the mornings. It's not everyday and it burns off by noon (usually). If it is one of those days, you'll want to wait until things clear up or there won't be any views (and they are spectacular - well worth the effort). So in a way you'll have to wait and see if it is a clear day before you decide because there is no way of knowing in advance. Saturday will be crowded all day as this is very popular. Be sure to check out the observatory while you're up there.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
2. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

Nice easy hike. The answer to your question may lie in how the weather is tht day. If it's a foggy morning then I would go about 12 as the views would be a little clearer.

If it's a really warm day then I would go in the morning when it's cooler.

Make sure you bring water and there are some nice places to have a picnic too.

Dr. Z

P/S As Koda said.... :)

Edited: 8:46 pm, February 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

We don't have a car. And we do plan to visit the Observatory (should we go after or before the hike?).

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Edited: 8:54 pm, February 15, 2013
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

Go to the Observatory afterwards. You'll get some outstanding views at sunset time and some great views of LA at night.

Check out their schedule for special exhibits. http://www.griffithobs.org/

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

If we go in the morning then we won't be staying all the way till sunset. So are you suggesting we go in the afternoon?

The schedule on the website doesn't show any special events after March. And we probably don't want to spend any money here anyway if there's enough free stuff to see.

How much time do you think we'll need for the hike and at the Observatory?

Thanks again

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

Yeah...go in the afternoon. The hike will take maybe 1-2 hours depending on how fas you go and ow long you stop for the views.

The Observatory can be experienced in about an hour or so if you don't bother with some of the free exhibits.

Dr. Z

Los Angeles...
reviews: 69
7. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

Here is a link to the observatory that has shuttle info - the shuttle runs on the weekends. Not sure how you were planning to get up there - it is a very steep walk.

www.griffithobservatory.org/vshuttle.html

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

I was hoping that there would be some sort of bus that we could take :P

Thanks for the info.

It says on that website that the first shuttle comes at 10am so I guess it would have been difficult if we wanted to come earlier in the morning.

Anyway, I think we're all set to go now!

Edited: 10:21 pm, February 15, 2013
9. Re: Hiking Griffith Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 17, 2014