We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Falkirk, United...
reviews: 2
2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Hello

I've posted a question about Los Angeles already, but I have another question and thought it would be best to start a new Topic as it doesn't really relate to the other one.

I'm visiting L.A for 2 days, 3 nights in April with my partner. We will have a hire car as we are driving from Las Vegas. We keep going between the idea of doing the self-drive option and seeing all the places on our own or doing the City Tours. However, we have came up with his plan for our two full days with the intention that we will be using the hire car as much as possible.

Day 1:

-WB Tour VIP

-Drive to Hollywood have lunch somewhere

-Movie Stars Home Tour (Starline)

-Have a drive around, see & take photos of Grammy Museum,LA City Hall, the house from Charmed (tv show),Riverbeds (Grease), Walt Disney Concert Hall

-Dodgers Game @ 7pm

Day 2:

-Holy Cross Cemetery (John Candy grave)

-Venice High School (Grease high school - take a photo - big Grease fan haha)

-Venice Beach

-Santa Monica

-Lunch @ Farmers Market

-Westwood Memorial Park (Marilyn Monroe & few others)

-Mulholland Drive (sunset & city lights)

-Dinner @ Universal Studios maybe

Can anyone tell me if these plans are realistic/manageable or if they are not going to work?

Its difficult to know how long we will be spending at each place especially places like Venice Beach and Santa Monica and I've tried to calculate how long it takes to get from each place.

Is there anywhere that you can suggest is a must that I am not including in the plan. All suggests and advice welcome.

Another reason we are lending towards doing more self drive is that I am in a wheelchair and found a lot of tour companies do not have wheelchair accessible vehicles. Starline seems the most accessible.

My partner also wants to see locations from movies and tv shows, including the apartment from Karate Kid, the police station from Southland and the Pizza restaurant from Drive.

Would be great if anyone could let me know if the plans are likely to work or not :-)

Thanks

Emma

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
1. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

The plans look very good. I think you are planning things correctly by using the car while you are here.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 174
2. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

You have a unique approach to your visit and I thank you for that!

Day 1: I'm not sure the Hollywood Homes tour is a great idea. You will only see gates and be told that so-and-so lives there. They probably did, decades ago! You may want to find tony neighborhoods, park the car, and stroll the sidewalks looking at their great gardens!

Be sure to map your drive for your photography portion of the trip. I'm not sure where some of those homes are, but they won't be downtown. You might also consider doing your photography in the morning when the light and shadows are lovely.

Day 2: Venice High School will probably disappoint! But you can see it from the sidewalk on Venice Blvd., so go for it! Then go to Venice, on to Santa Monica (where you could spend several hours or just a couple), then to Westwood and Mulholland Dr. Universal City Walk is too far from what you're doing that day. Have dinner in Westwood, Beverly Hills, or near your hotel instead.

I love the TV show Southland. It is unbelievably good! The police station they use is the LAPD headquarters in downtown. I'm sure you are aware that the show does not portray daily life in LA. Lots of the crime dramas skew the city. Although the scenes in Southland are streets in LA, most of us never, never see them. They are also not adjacent to one another the way they make it seem on the show.

Lots of shows that are supposed to take place in other cities are actually here in LA. The show Justified, which takes place in Kentucky is filmed here. Dexter (supposed to be Miami) is primarily Long Beach. CSI NY and Miami are filmed here, too. I could go on, and on, and on!

Falkirk, United...
3. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Thanks for your replies, they are both really helpful and its good to know we are heading in the right direction with our planning. Oh and its good to know its unique..thanks ddffpp :-)

I've read some reviews on the Hollywood Homes tour and they also said it wasn't worth it, so we may just cut that out and have a drive about the nice neighbourhoods like you suggest. We were hoping to maybe see Marilyn Monroes home on the tour. Would it be worth our while going to find it ourselves, is it possible to take photos of it? Can you see it or is it hidden?

Is the farmers market a good choice for lunch after Venice and Santa Monica? I did wonder if Universal was too far. I think we'll leave that out as well. Would the Griffith Observatory before dinner work better instead of Universal? We were going to try go to the observatory on our arrival night after the drive from Vegas but I thought it was maybe pushing it a bit and we wouldn't manage it. Although we wanted to get photos of the hollywood sign from there, but it will probably be dark by the time we get there so that may not work.

Oh we are big fans of Southland too. And its back on again :-) Our hotel is the Biltmore in Downtown so I thought it might be quite easy for us to see the police station from the show and places like LA city hall, grammy musuem and Walt Disney Concert Hall. Dexter is another favourite show of mine.

Thanks again :-)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
4. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

If you have a "stars home map" or know where Marilyn Monroe lived, sure, go take a look. It is probably hidden behind a fence and hedge. It could also have been remodeled extensively!

The Original Farmers Market is great for lunch or dinner any time you can get there. If you can get to Griffith Observatory before dinner, I would do that for sure.

www.laparks.org/observatory/vhours.html

Here is a forum discussion that I saved because of all the great info on things to see and do downtown:

tripadvisor.com/…41427466

Los Angeles...
reviews: 66
5. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

I found this website on Marilyn sites in LA:

http://www.marilynmonroepages.com/sites/

Falkirk, United...
6. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Thanks ddffpp and Koda

I've got a note of Marilyns address, so hopefully we manage to find and see it ok. That website on Marilyn sites is great Koda :-)

The forum discussion for things to do in Downtown is really helpful. I didn't realise you could go inside City Hall and that there is an observation deck.

We are planning on booking the WB tour for 10.30am. As our hotel is the Biltmore, I checked google maps and it says its 18 mins from the hotel. What is the traffic likely to be like around that time? Will that still be rush hour and what sort of time should we leave the hotel to get there. I don't want to leave at the wrong time, get stuck in traffic and miss the tour.

Thanks

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
7. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Rush hour will be over. If Google maps says 18 minutes, I would say 30 minutes, but give yourselves 15 more to get lost, find parking, walk to the start of the tour, use restroom, you know! Then, there's always the possibility of construction. Sigh!

Falkirk, United...
8. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

Thats great, thank you. We are hopefully going to hire a sat nav from the car hire company. We have a sat nav at home, but not sure how it will be in the US, so will try hire one to be on the safe side.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
9. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

The link Koda posted is exactly correct about the cemetery where Marilyn is - its very easy to miss unless you know exactly where you're going.

10. Re: 2-Day Plan/Itinerary for L.A - advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014