We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Nights in LA

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 7
5 Nights in LA

I'm flying into San Diego on 3/16, staying 2 nights there, renting a car, then driving to LA and flying out of LAX on 3/23.

It will be myself and my girlfriend (both 23). We might meet a few friends who will also be in LA during the week, but will mainly just be the two of us. We like seeing the sights, doing the typical touristy stuff, but we also like going off the beaten path a little.

I've been to LA quite a few times, but I'm always looking for new things to do. As of now, I have a room reserved at the Hollywood Historic Hotel for an amazing rate. From everything I read online, this is a decent hotel. Obviously nothing special, but I really don't plan on spending much time there aside from sleeping. Any personal experiences with the hotel?

Aside from that... the only solid plans we have are to visit Disneyland (probably Wed or Thu), taking the WB Studio Tour, and going to see a taping of Craig Ferguson (both probably on Tuesday). Aside from that, not a whole lot planned as of yet.

We do want to hit up some bars for some drinks some nights. We're not really into the super nice places where its $10 per drink. We're just as comfortable in the dive bars with cheap drinks. My favorite bar in NYC is Rudy's if any of you have ever been there to give you an idea. So any suggestions on where to get cheap drinks in a somewhat decent place would be great. Like I mentioned earlier, we'll be in the Hollywood area for the most part. Not strictly limited to there though.

Any places you think we should check our or any general tips for the trip?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 55
1. Re: 5 Nights in LA

The Hollywood Historic is a great buy but be aware that its on the very edge of Hollywood. There is almost nothing open in the area at night (a few restaurants but not much of a bar scene which is closer to Hollywood Bl). While I completely understand wanting to save money on a room, I'd opt for something better -- especially since you'll be there with your gf).

If you take a taxi up and back to Hollywood Bl, that will add $15 or $20 to your 'hotel cost' so why not just stay closer to the action?

For your dates, here's what I found:

1. Coral Sands Motel -- $80 per night (+ 'room tax' of 15.3%) for a room with king size bed (or 2 'full size' beds) which includes an outdoor pool and hot tub and free wi-fi and free parking. It's a 1-minute walk to the Hollywood/Western metro rail (red line) station (3 minute train ride to the walk of fame) or take a bus from in front of the station and you'll be at the walk of fame in 4 minutes.

2. The Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset -- great buy on this popular 2-star property: $69 per night. Located adjacent to the Vermont/Sunset red line station (5 minutes to the Walk of Fame). Rate includes a queen-bed, free breakfast, free wi-fi and free parking.

3. Hotwire.com (a discounter) is offering an 'unnamed' 3-star hotel in Hollywood for your dates for $72 + tax. No matter which 3-star it is, it's a great value. Based upon its description (fitness center, laundry facilities, free breakfast) it is MOST LIKELY the "Hollywood Hotel" aka the Ramada Hotel at 1160 N. Vermont Av. This property is within easy walking distance to the Santa Monica/Vermont red line station (about 10 minutes to the walk of fame).

If it were me, I'd take #3.

Good luck!

Plenty of dive bars in Hollywood. Look at:

1. Frolic Room (northeast corner of Hollywood Bl & Vine St)

2.WhiteHorse Inn (Western Av, just north of Sunset Bl)

3. The Woods (La Brea just south of Hollywood Bl)

Have fun!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 26
2. Re: 5 Nights in LA

$10/drink is the cheap price here - $15-$18 is the high end price.

Portland, Oregon
3. Re: 5 Nights in LA

HSJ - Thanks for those suggestions! That was the one thing that was holding me back slightly on the Hollywood Historic. I got it for $56/night including taxes though, so that's hard to say no to. We stayed in the Super 8 just a few miles north of there last year, and we made it work just fine, we just drove my car and parked, then drove back (not drunk, don't worry hah), so I can at least say I know what it'd be like to not be near the "action". However, I'd like it a lot more if I was. I just am more thinking about the more than $100 I'd be saving by not getting a more expensive, but better located, hotel. I'm not sure how much we'd actually use taxis, maybe only 1 night. I will definitely look into those a little more though and who knows, I might decide it'll be worth it.

As for the drinks, yogachik, there have got to be places that have cheaper drinks than $10, haha. I'm talking just a $3 pint and I'm happy. So I guess I should say cheap beer*.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 378
4. Re: 5 Nights in LA

You are in your 20's, I was decades ago. If I could throw one piece of life advice out there....... "if it seems to good to be true", it usually is.

There is a reason the Hollywood Historic Hotel has "amazing" rates it is because they have to because the location is so bad. The places that HSJ mentions are better values even if they appear more expensive because of the services they provide and the location.

Look for Happy Hour deals, Google "Happy Hour Hoolywood", "Los Feliz", "Echo Park", "Little Tokyo", "Koreatown","Downtown LA", etc and you can get drinks at expensive places for great prices.

HMS Bounty is one of my favorite dives, so is the Redwood Bar & Grill and The Prince. Fun ethinc bars are the OB Bear, Dan Sung Sa and Hite Kwang-Jang. They are Korean izakayas with cheap beer and great food.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 378
5. Re: 5 Nights in LA

Oh and McCormick & Schmick's has a great happy hour at all their locations, you'll be near several in San Diego, Anaheim, LA & Beverly Hills

mccormickandschmicks.com/afreshapproach/appr…

The Pig & Whistle in Hollywood has great specials as well.

Portland, Oregon
6. Re: 5 Nights in LA

Haha, appreciate that tip. I do realize that though. However, I didn't just blindly select that hotel. I looked up reviews on about every site I could find, and just about all of the recent reviews (even here on TA) were fairly positive. Again, I understand the location isn't that great as it's not close to much of anything, but a year ago I stayed basically in the same area and it worked out fine since I'll have a car. I stayed in the Super 8 Hollywood/LA last year, which is not by any means a nice hotel with a good location, and I didn't mind it at all. Again, only going to be sleeping there.

Thanks for those bar suggestions. Cheap beer and good food is enough to satisfy me. I'll definitely check out happy hour at those places.

7. Re: 5 Nights in LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 16, 2014