We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 249
Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

on Olvera Street?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

The most authentic mexican restaurants are not found on Olvera Street, as Olvera Street is for tourists, the restaurants there are tourist traps. Where are you staying and will you have a car?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
2. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

We are staying around Hollywood and Highland. And no we will not have a car. But are willing to take a taxi to a great restaurant.

Are there any great Mexican in the downtown area?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
3. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

Consider:

1. The Gardens of Taxco in nearby West Hollywood:

http://thegardensoftaxco.com/

This is a unique dining experience. No printed menus. The server will ask you some questions about the types of food you like and then he/she will bring a custom-designed meal to your table.

2. El Compadre -- they have more than one location. The one nearest to your hotel is at 7408 W Sunset Bl

http://www.elcompadrerestaurant.com/portal/

Enter from the rear parking area or you will have to walk through the bar, in front of the Mariachi Band that performs there and through the restaurant to the rear entrance. The host who will seat you is near the REAR entrance to the restaurant. They serve margaritas that are aflame (on fire).

I'll say this about the authenticity of Mexican food in Los Angeles. Much of what is served in Mexico does not appeal to the American palate (or the Canadian palate either, I would imagine). Thus, as is common in many types of cuisines, the recipes are modified to appeal to American tastes. If you dined at an authentic Mexican restaurant in L.A., I think you'd be disappointed. Just my 2 cents.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
4. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

I highly recommend Lotteria Grill in Hollywood near Highland. It's a great restaurant.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
5. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

Spelled Loteria Grill in case you are googling it. On the expensive side but tasty. There is also one in Farmers Market near the Grove-- and on 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. A small local chain.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
6. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

Since you are staying at Hollywood and Highland and therefore have access to the subway, I'd take the Red Line to Union Station and switch to the Gold Line to go to La Serenata De Garibaldi in East LA or Las Cazuelas Restaurant & Pupuseria in Highland Park.

East LA is east of Union Station and Highland Park is north of Union Station.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 144
7. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

On Olvera Street, two good restaurants (and actually have some authentic dishes, whatever that means)

La Luz del Dia (on the end closest to the Plaza) and La Golondrina restaurant. Luz del Dia is all about the tacos, with fillings like nopales (cactus) and chicharron. It's casual fast service. If you want "authentic" dishes at Golondrina look under the house specialties. They are also revered for their margaritas.

The one to stay away from is El Paseo Inn.

Some people consider the taquitos at Cielito Lindo a cultural icon, like the tacos at Tito's Tacos.

Loteria Grill is good and started out (about 10 year ago) as a taco stand at the Farmer's Market. Now it's a chain, and has a mix of "authentic" and not...as it has things like taquitos, quesadilla, nachos, burritos, on the menu. Still worth sampling if you are in the neighborhood!

Edited: 1:32 pm, February 11, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
8. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

Thanks for all the tips,

Rancho Santa...
reviews: 9
9. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

I like Las Anitas. I hesitate to suggest it since it has been a while. Here's the latest on Yelp.

yelp.com/biz/las-anitas-restaurant-los-angel…

Be sure to check out this relatively new museum and exhibit at Olvera Street.

yelp.com/biz/la-plaza-de-cultura-y-artes-los…

yelp.com/biz/america-tropical-interpretive-c…

I like La Serenada de Garibaldi in Boyle Heights a lot. I'm not sure I'd advise you to head there just for a meal, unless you were in downtown already.

HTH

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
10. Re: Whcih is the most Authentic Mexcan Restaurant

We will be downtown for one day. So I look further into La Serenada.