We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Drive or Train or Fly

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
To Drive or Train or Fly

Arriving in LA in August. Husband and I are from Australia and want to spend a day or 2 in LA then head up to San Fran and take in the Bay area,Yosemite and maybe Napa Valley. Then after 4 or 5 days head to Las Vegas and do the trip out to Grand Canyon. Then after another 4 or 5 days we will fly out from Las Vegas to LA and straight home.Given husband is over 6ft has minor back issues and tires easily was trying to decide to hire a car or use train or flight options. We want to take in as much sights as we can,

take a lot of photos. Suggestions appreciated. . . .

melbourne
reviews: 59
1. Re: To Drive or Train or Fly

Hi Jo

Another couple from Australia and we have done your trip quite a few times ! My husband is also 6.4!!

San Fran is one of our favourite cities and we try to get back there every time we are stateside !! You won't need a car in San Fran to see the sights but you could hire a car for 1 day to do Napa Valley ( which is lovely ) or you can do a bus tour which I haven't done we have done it ourselves

LA to SF the quick inland non scenic route I believe can be done in about 6.5 hours . Southwest ( like our jet star) fly almost every hour for less than $100 and flight is approx 1 hour plus you have time at airport check in security etc etc . We usually fly one way and drive another way but we incorporate our itinerary with the drive

Leaving Vegas for LA is just as easy to drive also . We did it last year in about 3.5 hours so it works out about the same time as flying with airport time and flying . We haven't used the Amtrak but I have heard its reliable but I think it will be the much slowest option and given your limited time it's probably not the best option

If you choose to fly the flights are short and your husband will be comfortable enough in tightly cramped seats for a 1 hour flight ! My husband doesn't complain

Hope tht helps

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: To Drive or Train or Fly

Definitely drive between LA and SF. The stretch between Cambria and Carmel is one of the most scenic coastal drives in the world. I even suggest to take 2 overnight stays between LA and SF like in Cambria and Monterey but you can drive it in 2 days with just an overnight stop in the Cambria area.

Also Yosemite and the drive from Yosemite to Las Vegas via Death Valley NP is very scenic but I also would recommend and overnight stay between Yosemite and Las Vegas like in Lone Pine. Best gor GC will be to stay overnight. You can drive to GC from Las Vegas in app 5 hours. The drive to LA will take 8-9 hours with a stop from GC south rim.

Tet

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 75
3. Re: To Drive or Train or Fly

Hi Jo D, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums.

If you go up one level to the California state forum page, you can read several excellent articles linked to the Top Questions (upper right) about portions of your trip.

I suggest you read through some of that information (especially the Hwy 1 drive and the Las Vegas to Yosemite article), chat with your husband about your wish list of destinations, then repost on the California state forum page. We can help you to craft an itinerary with more stops for folks who like to take breaks, relax a bit on long days, and take photos. To start you off with the photography idea, I'll suggest you look at TA member grizzy77's photo albums from his CA trips: http://cwwayne.zenfolio.com/

California forum page: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

4. Re: To Drive or Train or Fly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 11, 2014