We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP studio tours - which one is best?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 1
VIP studio tours - which one is best?

I've noticed Paramount, Warner and Universal all do VIP tours. I'm just wondering which is best and if they're worth the money. I'm a huge film geek so don't mind paying the extra, but want to make sure it's worth it.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
1. Re: VIP studio tours - which one is best?

Just My Opinion, of course, but I'd go with Warner Brothers. To me, more of a 'working ' studio. Sets, actors, actual filming. Although Paramont does a pretty good job as well. Over the years, I've spent a fair amount of time on sets and, generally, found it pretty boring---a lot of standing around with nothing apparent going on.

OTOH, I'm not a movie 'geek' as you describe yourself. It could be that a day at the studio will add a lot of enjoyment for films that you watch in the future as you may know what goes on to set up a shot or scene. If it's worth the cost, only you will be able to decide but, if it furthers your enjoyment of movies or becomes an inspiration for something you want to do in life, then it's probably worth the money. If you've never done it before, take a shot and have a good time.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
2. Re: VIP studio tours - which one is best?

Hi, Ewan

There's a few things you need to know as far as "VIP" studio tours:

1. There are 4 studios that offer tours:

Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros and Universal

2. Universal Studios is a THEME PARK that offers a studio tour as part of the admission price for the Park. You cannot take the studio tour separately; you must purchase the theme park ticket which allows access to the rides and shows as well as to the studio tour.

3. Sony, Paramount and WB have 'studio tours' only. There is no theme park at these locations.

4. The word "VIP" is a little bit confusing in this case for the following reason: Warner Bros' STANDARD tour is called the VIP Tour. It, like the STANDARD TOURS at Sony and Paramount are between 2 hours and 2 hours, 15 minutes in duration.

Universal's STANDARD TOUR is conducted on a tram with 200+ people on it and is about 25 minutes long and is included on a 55 minute 'ride/tour' combination in which the tram you're riding on PASSES BY studio buildings and exterior sets but you never get off. After the 'drive by' tour, the tram goes through some special effects situations, e.g. the tram rides across a bridge that is collapsing.

5. The STANDARD TOURS of Sony, Paramount and Universal are in small groups of between 11 and 30 (depending on the studio) and you do enter sound stages, prop houses, foley studios, etc.

6. In addition to the STANDARD TOURS, there are other tour options:

a. Universal's is called the VIP EXPERIENCE which, again, includes admission to the theme park, preferential seating at shows, 'front of the line' access to rides AND an extended studio tour in which you DO stop to get inside of studio buildings. The tour is conducted with a small group. Lunch is also included. The price of this package is $289

b. WB's EXTENDED tour is called the Deluxe Tour and is 5 hours including lunch at a cost of $250.

c. Sony offers customized 'group tours'. You would have to contact them to see what they're offering.

d. Paramount's EXTENDED TOUR is 4-1/2 hours, includes lunch and costs $150.

Whether the EXTENDED TOURS are 'worth it' is subjective. Most people are content with the STANDARD TOURS but if you are the type of person who absorbs movie and TV trivia like a sponge (and can't wait for more), then one of the EXTENDED TOURS might be just the thing for you.

3. Re: VIP studio tours - which one is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 24, 2014