We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment lease and area

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cantabria
reviews: 1
Apartment lease and area

Hi all!

I will go for three months to LA next summer. I am thinking about Santa Monica, West Hoolywood, Long Beach... Are these areas good to live in for three months? I would like a peaceful and nice place in which I can go for a walk but enough lively (services like supermarkets, shops or restaurants). Also a place in which is easily park the car.

Any reliable website in which I can search for an apartment? What is the difference between an studio and a 1br apartment? Have the studios bed?

Thank you in advance,

Paloma

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
reviews: 21
1. Re: Apartment lease and area

Drop Long Beach from your list.

What is the budget per month/week? Studios have beds, ordinarily, yes. Look on airbnb.com for apartments.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
2. Re: Apartment lease and area

A studio is usually 1 large room.

A 1 bedroom will have a separate room with a door that closes for the bed.

Cantabria
reviews: 1
3. Re: Apartment lease and area

1000-1200$/month. As I have seen is a low budget, isn,t it?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Apartment lease and area

In the lower range, but you should be able to find several acceptable choices.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
5. Re: Apartment lease and area

I don't see how you'll find an apartment for 3 months for $1200. Regular apartments that are unfurnished (have no furniture) are more expensive than that in Santa Monica and West Hollywood and they require that you agree to stay 1 year or longer.

With a short rental and the need for furniture, you won't find anything in a safe or convenient neighborhood in Long Beach, West Hollywood or Santa Monica for so little.

Even the hostels (where you would be sharing a room with others) are more expensive than $40 per day. For example, the HI Hostels in Santa Monica (https:/…IQHome.asp) has 'shared rooms' (8 people in one room) and they charge $41 per night. They've already sold out for most of the high season (June/July/August) and the longest you can stay there is 2 weeks.

Do you need a car for that whole time? The cost of the car can be high especially when you include the required insurance, parking, and petrol. (If you're younger than 25, it will cost even more). If you can do without a car for all or part of your visit, I would use the savings to raise your budget for your accommodations.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Apartment lease and area

Many, many landlords rent month to month. And you can find nice places, unfurnished, for $1200.00 per month...easily.

Edited: 2:04 pm, January 18, 2013
pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
7. Re: Apartment lease and area

University students are often away from their apartments during the summer vacation (@ June-August/Sept). But they often have to pay for all 12 months. Many students would like to rent (sublet) their apartments or bedrooms during the summer. UCLA is in a beautiful part of West Los Angeles, and the students often live in nice areas nearby, or in Santa Monica.

This is from the UCLA Housing Office website:

http://www.data.cho.ucla.edu/

"The general public may view shared listings and short-term sublets listings for free. If you have additional questions, please contact the UCLA Community Housing Office at 310-825-4491."

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
8. Re: Apartment lease and area

spap, I'm assuming that the OP is going to need a furnished apt.

Pasca, I owned an investment property near UCLA for 10 years and I never allowed students to sublet (for obvious reasons). Any tenant that would sublet to a total stranger and then 'leave town' takes the risk of having to pay for any damage left behind by that subtenant. let alone any theft of the tenant's (or his/her roommates' belongings).

But, you're on the right track. The OP's best option is to look for an 'apartment to share'. Parking in and around popular areas in L.A. is limited, however, so she might have to pay for parking as well as the 'share'.

A quick glance of Craigslist resulted in the following offerings:

1. Looking for COOL roommate... - $900 (Santa Monica)

2. Sublet, pups are invited. Avail February - $900 / 400ft² - (Santa Monica)

3. Guestroom for rent 5min walk from SMC - $500 / 144ft² - (Santa Monica)

4. beautiful house in Marina del rey to share - $1200 / 2000ft² - (marina del rey, venice, santa monica)

but none of these are for short terms. Maybe, a number of them will pop up in May for the summer months. Hope you're right.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
9. Re: Apartment lease and area

I'd be VERY cautious about using Craigslist for rental sublets. I've heard of fraudulent listings there.

Regarding sublets...different property owners have different rules. And in many cases it will be just one bedroom, or even one bed, that is available in a student apartment--not the entire apartment. Pamponis appears to be a young woman and sharing an apartment with university-age Americans might be a very nice experience.

A quick glance at the UCLA website showed a number of shared apartments and shared bedrooms for the summer.

Culver City...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Apartment lease and area

www.westsiderentals.com - there is a $60 fee to join, but you'll find everything you need on this site.