We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Trip

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rochdale
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Help with Trip

Hi There

My family and I are holidaying in Los Angeles for the first time and have planned the following so far:-

3 Days Anaheim - Disney etc

4 Days Hollywood

Fly to SanFran for 3 Days

Back to LA for the remaining 3 days We would like to relax at the beach. Is it worth staying in Santa Monica (as it appears more expensive), or is it easy to travel daily from Hollywood (near the walk of fame). Thanks in advance of any help you can offer.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
23,883 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Help with Trip

Without a car, getting to Santa Monica can take a long time - over an hour. If you have a car, you'll find it an easy drive, but when staying in Hollywood, I would stick to those sights nearby.

If you come back to LA for 3 days, I highly recommend staying in Santa Monica.

When is this trip?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
143 reviews
2. Re: Help with Trip

Have you thought of renting a car and driving down Hwy 1 from Sf to la with at least one or two overnights It is one of the most amazing drives out West

If not please don't go back to Hollywood 7 days there sounds too much Santa Monica is great place to relax

Edited: 11:59 am, January 04, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
213 reviews
3. Re: Help with Trip

What time of year? Santa Monica is terrific any time, but much better when it is warm; after all, it''s a beach city.

I like the idea of driving from San Francisco to LA, but if any of your party gets car sick or the driver in your party is not a confident driver, I would stick to the plan of flying.

rochdale
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Help with Trip

Thanks for your replies. We fly to LA on 27th March for 13 nights. We are now very tempted by the idea of driving back from SF to Santa Monica and cutting our time in Hollywood by 1 day. Our kids are and 13 and 8, but are really good travellers and would be thrilled by the idea of a road trip. Would prefer to do it with only one overnight stop, to give us a couple of days in Santa Monica to recover !! How does the following itinerary look?

Arrive p.m. 27 March LAX. Express bus to Anaheim

28/29 March - Disney

30 - 2 April - Hollywood

3 - 5 April San Francisco - start the drive to SM afternoon of 5 April

6 April - Drive back to arrive SM evening of 6 April

7 - 9 April Santa Monica - fly home afternoon of 9 April

Thank you so much for your input and help.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
27,698 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Help with Trip

Your itinerary sounds wonderful.

I'll make a suggestion regarding your flight between L.A. and SF. Consider flying out of Bob Hope Airport (airport code: BUR). This is the Luton of Los Angeles -- tiny airport, easy to manage. There is a bus from Hollywood (the #222) that stops in front of the airport's entrance.

From BUR, look at fares at southwest.com (the easyjet of the U.S.). Southwest flies into OAK (Oakland airport) which is adjacent to SF. You can transfer into SF a few different ways. One way is to take the AirBart (a shuttle bus between OAK and the nearest BART (metro rail) station. Transfer there to the train into SF.

rochdale
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Help with Trip

Thanks for the suggestion re airports. I'll look into it. It certainly sounds less hassle than the mighty LAX and also thanks for confirming the viability of my itinerary. I'm going to get on with my bookings now. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
31,043 posts
818 reviews
7. Re: Help with Trip

Have a great trip! Where are you staying while visiting Disneyland? We just spent the day there the end of Nov. and had such a fun time. :)

rochdale
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Help with Trip

Thanks we are very excited. Looking at a few places in Anaheim, but the Comfort Inn seems to get good reviews and is a good price.

9. Re: Help with Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2014