We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 12
LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Can some one advise if you can easy go from international to domestic terminals, is there a shuttle/bus?

We need to go international (United) to domestic (Delta) after we put our children on flight back to Australia and do the reverse when we fly back from Vegas (delta) to catch our flight home to Oz (United)

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 21
1. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

There is no difference between Int and Domestic in LAX in my experience - I've come and gone from the same terminals. It's not like Sydney at all.

There is a shuttle bus between the terminals - which is just a giant U shape.

Leaving the US is like leaving on a domestic flight - check in and through security. There is no passport control like we have in Sydney - they don't care you're leaving!

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
2. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

When posting such questions you should give the terminals listed in your itinerary. LAX terminals are more divided by airline (there can be more than one airline in a terminal) than by domestic vs. international per se. The Tom Bradley Terminal is all interantional but you shouldn't have to deal with that. Look at a terminal map such as www.airport-la.com/info/terminal_map.html (click on each number) I assume your Delta flights will use Terminal 5 and your UA flights 6-8 (connected). Arriving you will, of course, go through Immigration and Customs, but, assuming your bags are tagged for LAS, should be able to hand off your checked bags at a transit desk outside Customs. You could take the free shuttle counter-clockwise from UA to DL but I'd probably just walk (exit and go to your left; I think it's easiest down at the arrivals level). On the return, the shuttle would be going in the same direction as you'd walk but, again, I'd probably just walk.

Do confirm that your bags each direction will be transferred between the two airlines. I think they will be, but you might watnto phone to make sure (you don't want to walk on to the next terminal without your checked bags and find they weren't transferred; more of a chance for this on LAS-LAX-Oz, since on the arrival you'll have your bags in your hands after you you leave the baggage carousel after Immigration and before Customs).

Edited: 8:23 am, December 04, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
3. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

United is Star Alliance and Delta is Skyteam and in most cases they won't transfer bags during a layover from Domestic to an International flight

In any case here is a map of LAX to see Terminal 5 and the United Terminals which Sutter mentioned above

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=246

As far as having no immigration control when one leaves the US, It is not that they don't care. Every airline whether domestic or international shares its passenger information with the government and it is cross checked before the fight takes off. They have various lists that that one should not get on -- Just like one should not get on Santa's Naughty list -- At times people may not get on flights because their name matches someone on those lists and they go through extra screening

Fortaleza, CE
4. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Were the two flights each way purchased togeether? Contact UA and DL. I've had bags transferred between airlines that weren't in the same alliance, as long as they had an interline agreement re the transfer of bags, even when the trips were purchased separately, but you should verify what will happen in your particular case. You should still have your bags tagged for LAS when yo leave OZ, so you don't get charged a second baggage fee (and be subjet to the domestic baggage allowances, which are lower than for international).

Edited: 11:29 am, December 04, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
5. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/partnerbag.jsp shows interline agreements American has (just as an example). Not all are in their alliance. But I did not find the interline agreements partners of Delta and UA. And I read that DL stopped interline transfers IF there were separately purchased tickets.

Edited: 11:57 am, December 04, 2012
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
6. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Alas, due to airlines charging for baggage fees, you are finding that bags will not be checked through unless the entire trip is booked with "one ticket".

San Diego...
7. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

>>>>Alas, due to airlines charging for baggage fees, you are finding that bags will not be checked through unless the entire trip is booked with "one ticket".

That is not always the case. If there is no arrangement between the two airlines, even with "one ticket' there is no guarantee that the bags will be checked through. I thought a self- proclaimed travel industry insider would have the facts better than us mere mortals.

Edited: 6:22 pm, December 04, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
8. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

UA and DL have interline agreement in place. If you are on the same ticket, you should be able to check your bags through.

There is no need to take the shuttle bus between the DL and UA terminals. You will find that it is quicker to walk.

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 12
9. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Thanks for all the replies, alas did not book the trips on one ticket but sounds easy to get to the other terminals when we need to

Thanks again, you all rock....

Los Angeles...
10. Re: LAX International to Domestic and Reverse

Yes indeed--these guys are correct, the two terminals are actually right next to each other, and EXTREMELY close (ie a 5 minute walk). No shuttle needed.