We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Ontario...
reviews: 1
$20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Hello

I will be arriving at LAX tomorrow for a 6 night stay in the Melrose / Fairfax area. I am wondering if there is a machine at LAX where I can buy these passes? I checked on the Metro site and found I can get them at a Ralph's on La Brea if they do not have them at LAX. Thanks in advance!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 51
1. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Our FAQs section (a link at the top of the TOPIC LIST) discusses this in detail. You'll need to get a TAP CARD (credit-card sized card upon which your fare will be 'loaded'). The FAQs has a list by zip (postal) code along with a map of the stores that have the card (although this info is a little bit dated).

To my knowledge, the TAP CARD isn't available at LAX (a pity). The closest places to LAX at which to buy the card (and associated WEEKLY PASS) include:

1. The Green Line METRO RAIL station adjacent to LAX (there's a free shuttle to it -- info is in the FAQs in the "Local Transportation' section).

2. The Ralphs in the commercial district (shopping area) to the north of LAX.

If you'd rather buy your TAP CARD near your hostel, the closest dealers are:

1. Freda Mohr Senior Center -- 330 N. Fairfax Av (just north of the northeast corner of Fairfax Av & Beverly Bl)

2. Honest Max Bargains -- 7909 Beverly Bl (northwest corner of Fairfax Av & Beverly Bl).

You might want to call ahead to confirm that these locations still sell the card.

Auckland, Auckland...
reviews: 7
2. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Can two people share a 7 day Pass?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
3. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

No, Kathy. Well, not at the same time. For example, if the two of you got on a bus together, you couldn't both use the card for the fare.

Sydney
reviews: 7
4. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Don't know if anone is still reading this but are you able to use the pass for all public transport in la? Like is the metro the buses? What about the big blue bus?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
5. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Metro offers an "EZ" pass which is only sold on a monthly (not weekly) basis and I think this works on many other transit agencies in the LA area. I don't think the regular weekly pass works on the other transit agencies.

Berkeley, Ca.
reviews: 72
6. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

Confirming what MachThree said--the weekly pass is good for Metro trains and buses, but not those run by other agencies. For most visitors, this will cover most of your trips, although you might use Big Blue Bus in Santa Monica a few times. If you plan to rely wholly or mostly on transit, the weekly pass is a terrific bargain. The daily pass is $5, so you break even if you use the system four days or more in a week.

Newtownabbey...
7. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

We'll be travelling to LA in May, and will be staying in West Hollywood for seven nights. We don't intend to hire a car while we are there, but instead plan to use public transport where possible.

As we are there for seven nights, we are thinking that the TAP 7-day pass would be the best value. However, I am wondering if this is a standard "weekly pass" where the pass is valid only between certain day (such as Sunday to Saturday) or does the seven days start when you first tap on to public transport?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
8. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

James - we used to have the situation you describe - the pass was only valid from (if I recall correctly) Saturday to the following Friday, even if you purchased it in the middle of the week. Now they improved it so that the 7 day period starts the day you use it for the first time.

Newtownabbey...
9. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

MachThree - thanks for your advice. Coming in by Amtrak, so we'll pick up the cards & passes at Union Station.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
10. Re: $20 Unlimited 7-Day Metro Pass..

To anyone who might read this:

FYI, there are also a number of DASH buses that tend to run in circular patterns within a specific neighborhood (or two). These buses don't accept the TAP CARD either but the fare on the DASH buses is only 50-cents you might not need a DAY PASS for some of your days.

Here's a map of the DASH ROUTES.

http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/

Click on a route to see a schedule and map. Once the map appears, you can collapse the legend by clicking on its upper left corner. You can then click-hold-drag the map around as well as zoom in (by sliding the bar to the right of the map).

The buses run frequently but not after 6 or 7 pm and not on Sunday (and sometimes, not on Saturday. See the above link for schedules).

The DASH routes should appear as options when you do your public transit search.