We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire drop off and departing LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 9
Car hire drop off and departing LAX

We have one night booked at the Sheraton Gateway LAX to make it easier for our departure at 9am. We will still have our Hertz hire car that morning as it isn't costing us more to have it overnight and we wanted to have it our last night so we could go out to dinner etc.

We are flying to Honolulu on HA and just wondering what our best bet is to do regarding dropping the car off and getting to the airport on time. Its a domestic flight so i assume we don't need to be there 3 hours prior?

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
1. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

My recommendation would be to drop the car off after dinner. The Car HIre lots are open 24 hours per day. By dropping it off the night before, you'll save the cost of overnight parking at the hotel and you'll be poised to jump on the hotel's free shuttle to the airport in the morning.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 15
2. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

Maybe I',m missing something, but if they dropped it off after dinner how would they get back ot the hotel? Hertz shuttle to LAX then hotel shuttle to hotel?

Saving the parking charge for the night sounds good to me, all else equal, though

The drop off itself will be fast whenever you do it. It's all automated with hand held devices that the attendant will use to print your receipt and accept the car

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
3. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

I'd drop it off after dinner as well ... saves a hassle in the morning.

They could walk back to the hotel ... it's not far.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
4. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

As far as transferring back to the hotel from the Hertz lot -- here's a map of the route from the hertz lot to the hotel:

http://mapq.st/yacBhH

It's a route of about a mile / 1.6 km which would take about 22 minutes to walk. Here are some options:

a. The driver could drop off the others and then he/she would have to walk back.

b. The Hertz shuttle driver might be willing to drop off the driver (and family) at the hotel. If not, look at this map:

http://mapq.st/wMW6Mb

and consider: the shuttle driver will follow the path from point "A" to point "B" and then turn west on 96th Street to return to the airport (regular route). I can't imagine that the shuttle driver wouldn't be willing to stop at point "B" to let off the driver/family. In such a case, the walk to the hotel would only be .5 miles / .8 km (11 minute walk).

c. If all else fails, the driver/family could take a taxi back to the hotel. The fare would be $7 ot $8 including tip (2 minute ride) -- a small price to pay in exchange for saving a night's parking at the hotel and speeding the transfer to the airport in the morning.

sydney
5. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

Is 3 hours enough time to book in at LAX for an international flight ?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
6. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

Yes as long as you don't have a rental to drop off along the way. Allow an extra 30mins for that.

With the newer planes holding more people, check in can take a while, then you have security lines as well.

It may not take that long, but better to be safe.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
7. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

3 hours has generally been enough in the past. However be advised with the budget situation in the U.S., security staff at the airport may be impacted which may result in longer lines than before, especially at peak travel time. Its only been a few days since this started so its hard to say if it will be an issue in the long run, or not.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
8. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

MachThree is correct, but in the current environment, 2 hours is more than enough time. Have a great time in Hawaii!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
9. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

For a domestic flight, if you need to drop a car off, get to the rental car lot 2.5 to 3 hours before. Subtract another 30 minutes if you don't have to drop off a car.

The projected sequester impact is likely delayed flights so going to the airport earlier won't help in my opinion.

Do start your own thread next time as your question is unrelated to the original post.

10. Re: Car hire drop off and departing LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 07, 2014