We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 175
Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

1) I'm looking for a a nice friendly atmosphere to celebrate New Years. I have two "kids" one 11 and one 16 years old. I was looking into the Universal CityWalk but I don't know if it might be too crazy. I was also very interested to see if a nice luxury hotel such as the Peninsula or the Four Seasons offers like a "friendly" dinner with countdown.

I just don't want to be in a crazy place or in a too boring place. (Looking for good countdowns)

2) I will be taking a flight (Jan 1st 1:00 p.m.) from Long Beach Airport. If I leave my hotel (Chamberlain WeHo) like at 10:30-11:00 a.m. how will be the traffic??

3) I'm just going to be in L.A., This will be my third time. In the past I have been to Warner Bros Studios, Disney, Hollywood, Celebrity Home Tour, Madamme Tussauds Museum, Santa Monica.

I know I'm missing tons of stuff but in 2 days what can I do, I'll have a car.

4) Is everything closed on Jan. 1st and/or Dec. 31st??

Thanks

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
1. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

1. NYE dinners at a hotel will likely be very expensive, involving dancing and drinking, and requires early reservations. It's mostly an adult affair. I don't know how boring it would be, esp. for the 11 yr old.

2. Jan 1 in LA traffic will likely be very quiet, except the Pasadena area with the Rose Parade.

3. What can you do depends on your interests. Beach, museum, shopping, shows, etc.

4. Most shopping will be open Dec. 31, but closing early. Restaurants will be open but with special dinners. Most places will be closed on Jan 1.

Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 175
2. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

Well shopping, I'm just planning to go to Robertson (Kitson)

I'm not very interested in beaches because the weather will not be perfect, but I'm interested in going to the Getty Center and maybe another museum.

BTW is the Disney Concert Hall nice to visit even if you are not going to a concert??

And what shows are there in LA for families?

I'm actually interested in those expensive dinners with dance and drinks, I know it will be calm but not boring for my kids. I'm just having problems finding information about this events.

Cheshire, UK
reviews: 17
3. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

Universal City Walk's far from 'crazy' on NYE IMHO. In fact, I'd say it's rather corporate and dull!

I must admit though, we'll be there at that time ourselves with two 17-year-olds and haven't got a clue what to do. Maybe a music club like Whisky-A-Go-Go or Troubadour? Any ideas guys?!?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
4. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

Keep your eye on the websites of clubs, or e-mail them (probably end of October would be best) to find out what they are doing that would include under-aged young people.

The big New Year's event around here is the Rose Parade. Not sure where you are staying, but we always to go it via Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus

www.bigbluebus.com/home/monthlyexcursion.asp

They do the driving and have a block of seats. A great time, especially if you have never gone. You will need blankets and warm clothes.

They can also include tickets/transportation for the football game afterward, if that interests you.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
5. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

I just realized that the Rose Parade will take place on January 2, 2012. They never have it on a Sunday; when January 1 falls on a Sunday, they have it the following day, Monday.

marching.com/events/…

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
6. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

Sorry, but I walk away from the computer and think of another thing. Perhaps the Cirque du Soliel performance at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood...

cirquedusoleil.com/en/…los-angeles.aspx

7. Re: Where to celebrate New Years and more q's..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 18, 2012