We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possiblie Travel help req

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
reviews: 3
Possiblie Travel help req

Hi all, this is my first post to this forum, and i hope you can help, we are travelling to LA in mid September and we do not drive (at all), this will mean no car, and lots of public transport.

we chose a hotel near the airport because the hotel offers Daily sightseeing tours available to all attractions such as Disneyland Park, Universal Studios, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Knott's Berry Farm, Wax Museum, and San Diego.

now this seems great, but i was wondering if anyone else has used this kind of facility as a means of getting to the attractions and if what was this like.

I understand there will be a charge for this by the hotel and i have asked them for more details (but have yet to get a reply).

We are mainly going for the parks and landmarks but we hope to do a little sight seeing of our own.

we have searched the forum for travel tips and it all seems a little overwhelming.

Any help you can give would be great.

Zombi

La Habra, California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Hi zombi,

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the hotel offering tours. There are major sightseeing tour companies (like Gray Line--more tour company choices can be found on this website http://www.at-la.com). When you get to the homepage of at-la.com click at the "tourism" link at the bottom of the menu at the left hand side, then click the Tour Operators on the left hand side menu. This website is great for researching dining and other information on the Los Angeles area as well. I think it is a must use website for anyone either living here or visiting here!

These tour companies operate out of hotels from most areas that get large amounts of visitors such as Downtown Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Hollywood, and Anaheim.

I don't recommend the airport area if you plan to use public transportation as it is out of the way from the major sights and the bus and train service is not reliable in that area.

For public transportation convenience, I would recommend either Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, or Santa Monica (Beverly Hills would be fine also if you could afford it).

Six Flags Magic Mountain is the only park that will probably require a tour as public transporation thereis time-consuming complicated and may not be available on the day you plan to visit. The other parks (Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm can be seen much more easily using public transit.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help you if I can.

La Habra, California
2. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Hi zombi,

The website url got cut off on my previous post. Here it is on one line http://www.at-la.com

uk
3. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Hi Kind67, thanks for the reply and the website, it was of some help if a little overwhelming, i think the biggest problem we had was finding a hotel in a safe area and had good ratings and was within our budget and it also helped with transport, which led us to the Days Inn LAX Airport Hotel South Bay, which is a good price, had good room ratings from trip adviser and they offer daily sightseeing tours available to all attractions.

we did look at some hotels in the downtown / Hollywood area but these seem to highlight possible unsavoury night time areas (sorry if i offended anyone living in these areas) but you must understand, we live in boring england and america seems like a very exciting place that might take us by surprise.

This is the 1st time for us in the US and we booked sort of last minute, we should be fairly happy with the accommodation and as neither of us drive we though the trips provided by the hotel would suite us more.

You mention "The other parks (Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm can be seen much more easily using public transit." , i took a look at the http://www.mta.net website but this was quite confusing, could you in any way elaborate on how to use public transport to get to Universal studios (our main and probably 1st port of call) and then hopefully following any instructions this may help us plan our own trips on public transport.

Zombi

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Days Inn probably sets up tours with companies such as Starline Tours for pickup at their hotel (www.starlinetours.com).

You can click on LAX hotels on this website, and find Days Inn, and that will give you an available list of tours, and prices.

To get from LAX to Universal City will take about 2 hours. A recent post, about 5 pages back and posted August 5, 02 describes one day in LA. They used public transportation.

The post is "Trip Report! (Hollywood and Beverly Hills in 1 day) - August 2. Perhaps a seach will help you locate it - this report is interesting and helpful to others planning a similar trip.

Also, you can probably get information regarding transportation and tours from the hotel staff at Days Inn.

uk
5. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Thanks Mere, i will take a look

Zombi

hollywood
reviews: 5
6. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

if hollywood (chinese theatre, walk of fame, kodak theatre) is on your list then you can very easily combine this with your universal day. the hollywood/highland subway station is one stop away from universal.

uk
7. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

I want to thank you all for your help, i checked out the star tours link and i believe this may be the hotels option of sightseeing tours, this being the case our hotel choice may not have been the best, we can cancel and re-book a different hotel, the loss is tiny, but this would now bring about the search for a hotel perfect for 2 UK guys with no car and need for a clean room.

Zombi

La Habra, California
8. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Hi Zombi,

Since you will probably change hotels, let me know what area you're staying at and I will let you know how to get to the theme parks and other attractions from where you are using public transit.

uk
9. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

Hi kind67, thanks for the reply, we are looking at the Magic Castle Hotel 7025 Franklin Ave Hollywood, CA 90028

its pricey, but hopefully the money saved on taxis will compensate.

Zombi

Los Angeles...
reviews: 47
10. Re: Possiblie Travel help req

The Magic Castle will be well worth it. It's just up the street from the Hollywood/Highland area. The subway, metro red line, is located there with easy access to Universal. Just 1 stop. I'm pretty sure if you stay at the Castle you also get to go to the dinner/show they have there. DON'T MISS IT. I had so MUCH fun, the magicians are spectacular, and it's not like anything else. Yamashiro's restaurant is also located near the Magic Castle it's got a great view. It's a good area to stay in. There are lots of people at all hours due to the clubs & restaurants, as well as everything going on at Hollywood/Highland. I sometimes go to the Knitting Factory (nightclub near Graumann's), alone and take the bus and have not had any problems at 1.a.m, except for waiting time, not many buses at that hour. As always, like in any large city, be aware of your surroundings, and be cautious. Glad you decided to change a few nights to stay in Hollywood.