We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Which Long Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

I saw that the Aquarium of the Pacific has a 1/2 price deal Sunday July 24 from 5pm to 9pm, which is our arrival day at LAX. We have family picking us up and they are ready to go visit places!!!

Is this a crowded event? Is 4 hours enough time to see most of the aquarium? I heard about the new baby foxes, can we see them at the night visit?

Also, which dining option...Island's or Sharky's Woodfire Grill? Or anywhere else for 3 adults and 2 teens?

Thanks. Can't wait to be in California, my birth state!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Yes, the special deals can make the Aquarium busy.

The Arctic Fox Kits are in the Nursery, so you should be able to see them.

Here are a few photos and video from last week...

…smugmug.com/Aquariums/…18000611_LxZq66

4 hours is short, especially when it is crowded.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
2. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Thanks Darkbeer, I saw your photos via another post. Would a Tuesday night be less crowded than a Sunday?

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Yes, for sure....

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
4. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

I personally think for me, 4 hours is all I ever spend at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I've never been on a Sunday, but it can be crowded any day of the week that I have been. In fact, now that school is out, it would be better to visit without the busses of First Graders pouring through. : )

Islands is one of my favorite burger restaurants. Teens like watching the surfing films on the TV's. I love the Bleunami Burger, but my husband orders the Kilauea! The french fries are included and are really good.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
reviews: 42
5. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

For me, four hours is plenty of time to hit the highlights of the Aquarium. But many people say they can spend all day there.

I think 4 PM on a Tuesday night would have few school/day care children and really few people at all.

For dining, I think Island's would be more fun. I haven't been to Sharky's, but it sounds like a Chipolte or Baja Fresh with a few more upscale options.

I would check out the menu of either place to decide what fits your famiy's taste and budget. I like PF Chang's.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
6. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

As far as restaurants, Sharky's feels more like fast food (you order at a counter). It's Mexican with a help yourself salsa bar, they have some healthier choices on the menu like brown rice, tofu, wild salmon. It isn't like Chipotle (mostly a burrito bar). Zero fun factor.

Islands...I don't eat there. Too much of the menu is burgers and fried stuff.

Why did you pick those two choices? Maybe there are others nearby that would do better. Second Street in Belmont Shore is another option rather than staying downtown.

Edited: 4:05 pm, July 14, 2011
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
7. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Thanks. Tuesday is looking like a better option anyway. I picked those 2 because the menu's sounded good and my sister recommended the burgers at Islands. Plus we don't have those chains here!

Are there any other ideas for Long Beach area that would be $10 plus or minus each and family friendly?

Edited: 5:08 pm, July 14, 2011
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
8. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

While Sundays can be busy at the Aquarium, the 5-9 time period is not popular at all, which is why they are offering the discount for that time slot. I don't think even a half-price deal will bring in big crowds. People with families just like to visit early in the day. So I think it would be a perfect time to visit. It will still be warm and it won't get dark until 8:00 p.m. When you come out you will see the beautiful lights around the harbor and convention area.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
9. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

" I picked those 2 because the menu's sounded good and my sister recommended the burgers at Islands"

She is right about the grilled burgers, cooked to order, and you get your choice of wheat bun if you don't like white. They also have some very good salads if someone in your group wants something different, I usually take half mine home, as the dressing is on the side, so not soggy.

The Tortilla soup is very good, too. Fun family atmosphere. Let us know how your day/evening went.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
10. Re: Aquarium of the Pacific and LB questions.

Thanks again for the help. I will be talking to the cousin's this weekend to finalize plans! I really do appreciate all the help.