We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alabama Hills

Which Lone Pine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hants, uk
reviews: 32
Alabama Hills

Hiya, planning a trip in october where i will be travelling from death valley to mammoth lakes (for an overnight stop) . To break up the journey, i am thinking if a quick stop in Lone Pine and seeing tha Alabama Hills. I havent got too much time, as want to push on to Mammoth lakes in time for sunset @ 6.30pm, but just wondered if anyone can advise how much time i should allow for a quick detour to see Alanama hills? In what direction do i go from Lone Pine (or is it well signposted?) Is it easy enough to find face rock and Alabama Arch ?! And can anyone advise on exact location of these? Also- i Think i read somewhere (but cant find it now) that theres a way to re join US 395 without backtracking to Lone Pine??! This is all time permitting, or if alabama hills are a do-not-miss option, then should i sacrifice sunset view at minaret vista point in mammoth?!?! .... Or should i leave DV earlier and try and see it all? Confused about timings and trying to see as much as poss without lingering too long... Any advice wd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Alabama Hills

Face rock is off Whitney Portal road 2 miles from us395 at its northern side. Alabama Hills also are right there.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
2. Re: Alabama Hills

It seems like all of these questions were answered in one of your previous threads. If you are pressed for time, you can make a very short visit to the Alabama Hills, just drive about 5 minutes west of Lone Pine on Whitney Portal Road. As soon as you get up into the rocky area, Face Rock is on the right side of the road. Not very far at all, just 5 minutes after you pass the last street in Lone Pine. Until this discussion of your trip started, I didn't know Face Rock even had a name. To me it's just graffiti, the paint doesn't belong in a National Recreation Area. But now I guess it's unofficially a sort of landmark. …staticflickr.com/4030/4334369685_ab7a06960f… If you want to take a picture of it you would have to pull off the road onto the dirt to park. Last time we were there 2 guys asked me to take a picture of them in front of the face so I did. They said they were on their way to hike to the top of Mt. Whitney that day, even though it was forecast to be only 19 F for the afternoon at the summit that day, and they looked very unprepared for the hike the way they were dressed. You can also get photos of Mt. Whitney from that spot as well, if there are no clouds in the way. Lone Pine Peak actually appears to be higher than Mt. Whitney from that location, because it's a lot closer. But you do not need to go any further than that to get a sampling of what the rocks around Alabama Hills look like and you would not need more than 30 minutes for it. If you wanted to photograph any of the dozens of arches, including the often-photographed Mobius Arch, you would need an additional hour, but since you are so pressed for time that day, I would not bother with that. Just make Alabama Hills a quick photo stop and then continue north on US 395. There will be many other photo opportunities that day.

Edited: 11:50 am, June 03, 2012
Stoke on Trent...
reviews: 31
3. Re: Alabama Hills

This link should help you.

www.takemytrip.com/09loneliest/08n_42a.htm

4. Re: Alabama Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 01, 2013