We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Which Livermore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton
reviews: 15
Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

I'm from Canada, never been to Yosemite. i have a meeting in Livermore CA June 28-30th (so will fly into SFO) and then need to get to Reno by noon on July 1st, where I'll meet a friend who's coming into the airport there and we'll drive down to Mammoth Lakes together. Do you think it would be easier time-wise to just drive to Reno, or drive from Livermore back to an SFO airport and go through the hassles of air travel and fly to Reno. I don't mind driving especially as I will be seeing a part of the US I haven't been to for ages...unless it is a boring drive, or prone to lots of traffic/accidents/bad weather?? We'll fly out of Reno back to Canada, so I guess there would be the added expense of having a one-way rental car from SFO.

9 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

well it is a nice drive to Reno so if you want to drive that would fine. Now you do have to check and see what is cheaper the car with one way rental or flight plus the time to get to SFO and then the flight. It will be about a 3 and a half hour drive to Reno. Unless you have booked in advance the short flight is not cheap as far as I can tell

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 42
2. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

The drive on I-80 is really scenic once you get past Sacramento. It is an easy drive; the traffic and weather issues occur during the winter ski season. In late May you will be fine.

Livermore...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

The drive to Reno is a nice one and would take you about 4 hours. If you decide to fly to Reno, fly out of Oakland airport if you can. It is only about 30 minutes from Livermore and much more easier to get around in than San Francisco. San Francisco is at least 60 minutes away or more if there is traffic.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
4. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Southwest does not fly directly to Reno anymore. The flight goes to LAX and back to Reno from there.

The direct flights are from SFO or SJC.

Edmonton
5. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Thanks everyone - I have decided to drive as flying would take a whole day and be much more expensive. Can anyone suggest an interesting place to stay for one night en route from Livermore back to Reno? I thought it might be nice to spend the night somewhere other than LIvermore...

Edited: 11:29 pm, June 20, 2013
Dublin, California
reviews: 29
6. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Hey don't diss Livermore. What's your criteria for a nice place to stay? From Livermore to Sacramento it's pretty much boring suburbs and cities. You may want to stay at Auburn (past Sacramento on I-80). Or if you want a little detour, go north on Hwy 49 to Grass Valley. Then the next day drive east on Hwy 20 until you merge back into I-80. Hwy 20 is real scenic.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
7. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

It depends upon how far you want to drive. It is pretty much 580/205/ I-5 freeway stuff until Sacramento Then I-80 until you begin to get to the foothills at Auburn. Auburn is the most "interesting" of your choice of stops in my opinion.

Mapquest says....from Livermore....

121.09 miles

2 hrs 5 mins / 2 hrs 8 mins based on current traffic

This is a Gold Rush Town but most of the motels are off the freeway. There is a nice Holiday Inn and the Best Western Golden Key. But at some point I would go into Auburn and poke around its Old Town. You might even be able to get some sourdough pancakes for breakfast.

Auburn to Reno is about 100 miles, all freeway.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 11:53 pm, June 20, 2013
Edmonton
8. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Sorry if it came across as "dissing" Livermore. It wasn't meant that way. As I have never been in this area of California, and I need to get to Reno by 11:30am I thought it would make sense to get on the road, stop overnight en route, and take in some different scenery after 3 days in Livermore. I'll look into the Grass Valley suggestion, thanks. Googling, I found a small B and B in Loomis area that sounds a possibility too...

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
9. Re: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?

Loomis? Interesting? Whatever. (Now somebody from Loomis is going to get me for dissing Loomis.) :~)

If you want a bed and breakfast and a nice walk around an historic town, you can probably find one in Auburn.

Edited: 1:28 am, June 21, 2013
Reply to: Drive or fly from Livermore to Reno?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted