We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe?

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
6 posts
Safe?

We (2 adults, 2 kids) are driving from SF to SD, stopping by for one night in Lancaster before a tour of Edwards AFB. How safe is the area? Okay to leave luggage in the car? Safe to walk at night? Or consider it like a big city? We were thinking of staying at the Hampton Inn. Thank you for your advice!

19 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Safe?

I do not consider that area safe and avoid it when on road trips to Mammoth - sorry, but I wouldn't leave anything in the car nor would I walk at night.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Safe?

Lancaster is iffy. I would never leave anything in my car and I wouldn't walk around at night.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,211 posts
391 reviews
3. Re: Safe?

The Hampton Inn is fine, but I wouldn't leave anything in my car or walk around a whole lot. I might walk across the street to In 'n Out, but not much more.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Safe?

Keep in mind that next door's Palmdale is the methamphetamine capitol of the US - which is why we are all very wary of Lancaster. Lots of drug crime, lots of meth-heads.

I won't even stop at that In-n-Out mentioned above.

Can you stay in the valley in LA or Canyon Country and then head out to the air force base in the morning? Must you stay in Lancaster?

Lancaster...
6 posts
5. Re: Safe?

Thank you so much for your comments! We do not need to stay in Lancaster. We will be leaving Kings Canyon in the afternoon on August 7th. The tour of the base is on August 9th so I am looking for somewhere to stay on the 7th and 8th. We'd prefer not to spend between $100 to $150/night. We will have just spent 3 days in Monterey (at a VRBO) and will be driving down to San Diego on the 9th. I'd much rather have to get up early on the 9th and stay somewhere nice. We love historic places and the outdoors, so any recommendations on what to do on the 8th are welcome. Also the base tour is my 11 year olds idea - he loves aviation and space. But if it's going to cause a huge problem, we can cancel our tour.

Thanks again!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,780 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Safe?

I say skip that tour - it's not as interesting as, say, seeing the Space Shuttle in LA - something your child will talk about his whole life:

californiasciencecenter.org/Exhibits/AirAndS…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
40,211 posts
391 reviews
7. Re: Safe?

If you want to do the tour I'd stay in Tehachapi if Lancaster has you feeling ill at ease.

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
102 reviews
8. Re: Safe?

Hi,

When you get to San Diego, I'm sure your son would enjoy the Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park, or seeing the aircraft aboard the retired aircraft carrier, USS Midway.

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
102 reviews
9. Re: Safe?

Here are the links to both museums from my previous post (made from my phone):

http://www.sandiegoairandspace.org/

http://www.midway.org/

Enjoy your visit!

Zed

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
974 posts
84 reviews
10. Re: Safe?

It's going to be hot out there in August, just FYI. If it were me I'd stay another day in the Sequoia area. There's not much of interest between there and Edward's. And it will be cooler in the mountains. You could leave there in the afternoon of the 8th and stay in Bakersfield, leaving for Edward's early the next morning (it's about 100 miles) or Tehachapi (50 miles).

Reply to: Safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted