We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 4
Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

Hi there,

My husband and I are travelling down to Southern California for 4 days (think we've narrowed it down to staying in Laguna Beach). We're in our 30s, very low key people, celebrating a babymoon actually! So we're looking to go at a time that isn't TOO insane (knowing there's always going to be crowds). Can you recommend whether the May 24-25 weekend would be better, or June 6-7? Just not sure how Memorial Day is celebrated down there...does everyone head to the beach?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
1. Re: Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

Since Memorial Day is a long holiday weekend, it will be more crowded. The weather won't be significantly different. Expect "June Gloom" -- cloudy overcast skies.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
2. Re: Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

Laguna Beach would be marginally busier on Memorial Day weekend given it is a long weekend, but I don't think it matters much in the scheme of things.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
3. Re: Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

Just to expand, "May Gray" and "June Gloom" are possibilities at that time of year. Basically the skies at the coast can be blanketed with low, grey clouds starting early in the morning, getting rid of all the sunshine at the beach. Depending on the severity of the condition, the clouds can linger anywhere from mid-morning until late afternoon.

I would tend to think larger crowds at the beach on Memorial Day weekend.

edmonton
reviews: 45
4. Re: Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?

make sure you have a parking spot. that can be tough in laguna. considering "may grey" and "june gloom"...if there are any activities you want to do inland, plan to do them in the mornings so hopefully the sun is out by noon.

Reply to: Crowds: Memorial Day Wknd or Early June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted