We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble making a decision

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glastonbury,CT
reviews: 91
Trouble making a decision

We are planning a 4 night visit to the San Diego area in early May tacked onto a Sedona trip. We love California and last year visited Santa Barbara, Santa Monica and SLO and stayed in some beautiful hotels. I'd like to splurge on 1-2,nights night on a hotel/ resort with a dramatic ocean setting and ocean views and am considering Montage Laguna beach or Ritz Carleton in Dana.

We had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz at Half Moon Bay 2 years ago and that's the WOW I'm looking for.

My husband has been to the Del and thinks its over rated so in looking for something fab beyond San Diego; these are the two I've come up with .Both are a little more than i'd prefer to spend even on a splurge so I am open to any other similar properties with dramatic location, ocean views and "newer".

I realize these options aren't " near" San Diego but we do love the shoreline and will still spend 2 nights in San Diego.

I'd appreciate some opinions or if anyone has stayed in both recently , what they consider to be the better choice.

Thanks in advance!

23 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 339
1. Re: Trouble making a decision

I like the Ritz Carlton over the Montage, but it is a personal preference, others here like Montage better. I like the setting at the Ritz better, but it is hard to top the Ritz Half Moon Bay.

Not beach front, but have you looked at the Grand Del Mar? It gets good ratings too.

reviews: 714
2. Re: Trouble making a decision

You won't be disappointed with The Montage. We have stayed twice there now. The setting is spectacular and the service is first-class on all levels. :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
3. Re: Trouble making a decision

You won't be disappointed in EITHER the Montage or the Ritz Carlton. I like the location of the Montage better because it is closer (but still south) to Laguna Beach village and its restaurants and shops. But the Ritz has a wonderfully scenic location and it isn't hard to drive into Laguna Beach. Rooms at the Montage are slightly larger (at least the ones I've seen) but the Ritz rooms are still gorgeous. The restaurants at the Montage are more outrageously priced than at the Ritz Carlton. But for a few days, if you are already spending at the highest rate level, that may not make much of a difference.

Glastonbury,CT
4. Re: Trouble making a decision

Thanks for your input! It's really appreciated.

Both properties look great and have perfect settings. I do like the pool location at the Montage but I'm leaning toward the Ritz since the short drive to walk around Laguna isnt far and for an ocean front room, I can get away a little easier.

Is the beach below either better in terms of walkability? It's hard to see if in front of the Ritz you can walk.

I did look at the Grand del mar which looks like a lovely too notch property but for us being ocean front is the lure.

Thanks again

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Trouble making a decision

You can walk on the beach in front of the Ritz Carlton -- no problem. If you can get a good deal there for an ocean front room, take it. You will enjoy it. You can easily drive to San Juan Capistrano as well as Laguna Beach. SJC has a lovely downtown area with good restaurants and shops and the Historic Mission San Juan Capistrano.

Here is a photo of the beach in front of the RC:

http://tinyurl.com/q9peh7q

Edited: 10:00 pm, April 06, 2014
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Trouble making a decision

This is a photo of the beach from sand level looking up at the RC resort: http://tinyurl.com/npm4dra

Glastonbury,CT
7. Re: Trouble making a decision

LScats...thanks for the photos. To the far right there seems to be a small rock jetty...is there a beach beyond this? Is it public? can you just walk over the rocks to reach it?

Irvine, California
8. Re: Trouble making a decision

I get what your husband means about the Del. It is better appreciated from a distance and with a sense of history. You will not have that problem at either of these great hotels.

Fun fact: all California shoreline is public. The hotels you mentioned both would like to keep this a secret, but they have state mandated public access points.

Edited: 5:55 pm, April 08, 2014
Glastonbury,CT
9. Re: Trouble making a decision

That is a fabulous California thing...a public shoreline!

In CT, beachfront property owners seems to think its their beach...though honestly who wants to go to the beach in CT other than to walk and gaze!!

And also amazing about California Beaches... so many have free parking!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 339
10. Re: Trouble making a decision

The beaches in Laguna Beach/South Laguna are cove beaches, which is part of the charm of the beaches there. Here is the overhead of the entire beach at the Ritz Carlton.

http://goo.gl/maps/Bsz4m

Reply to: Trouble making a decision
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted