We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba
reviews: 1
7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

My husband and I will be staying in California for 16 days in July the first 7 will be spent in the San Diego area. The next 7 will be spent in Laguna Beach we are in our mid 40's and really just want some quite relaxing time. We will spend most of our time strolling the beaches and enjoying the scenery. We will have a car so getting around to other beaches will be possible, so if you could please help us with beaches that we might not want to miss that would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
1. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

What are you looking for in beaches? Quieter, hard to get to or beaches with facilities (restrooms, showers, etc). Few beaches will be "deserted", but some are quieter than others, but take some effort to get to.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
2. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

Here is the visitors' bureau link to the "Top 10 Places to Visit in Laguna Beach." http://www.lagunabeachinfo.com things-to-do/top-10-places-to-visit/

Also visit Crystal Cove, up the coast www.crystalcovestatepark.com/

Newport Beach has its 2 Piers, Balboa Fun Zone, Upper Newport Bay Ecological Preserve, Harbor tours and Whale Watching Tours (You can also pick up whale watching tours from Dana Point).

Huntington Beach has 10 miles of wide open beach with good parking. Watch professional level surfers and volleyball players near the pier. And the Bolsa Chica Wetlands offer good wildlife viewing. www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/visitors/

Driving on up the coast, stop at Sunset Beach for wonderful quiet beaches and fun dining at Harbour House Cafe.

Seal Beach is a wonderful small beach town with a great Main Street shopping/dining area, nice beaches and a pier that's just long enough for an evening stroll.

Tell us what you like to do besides stroll on beaches and we'll be happy to give you suggestions.

Edited: 8:19 pm, March 25, 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 35
3. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

We went to a nice, small beach with tide pools in Dana Point near the Ocean Institute. http://www.ocean-institute.org/index2.html My favorite big beach is Huntington Beach as I grew up visiting family there every summer! Great for people watching, surfing, walking along the pier, kite flying as well as dining and shopping! We also enjoyed Bolsa Chica Beach near Huntington Beach. http://www.ocean-institute.org/index2.html

Manitoba
reviews: 1
4. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

Thank you for your suggestions, I guess what I am hoping to hear about would be where I might find great coves to walk through and take pictures of and tide pools. Things that you might not actually read about in a tourist pamphlet you know the things the people who live there know about.

Thank you for your help

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
5. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

You might enjoy a hike at Laguna Canyon Wilderness Park. There are scenic vistas from trails of various lengths and levels of difficulty. http://ocparks.com/parks/lagunac/

There are tide pools at Corona del Mar State Park www.longbeachmarine.org/maptidepool.html

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
6. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

The tide pools in Corona del Mar at Little Corona del Mar, not to be confused with "Big" Corona del Mar State Beach.

In the map below, Big Corona is the beach to the left, Little Corona to the right.

http://goo.gl/maps/cGU2R

Here is more on Little Corona.

visitnewportbeach.com/beaches-and-parks/…

El Moro Beach just before Laguna Beach is another good one. It is part of Crystal Cove, but you don't park in the bluff top park, you park in the El Moro Canyon Parking Lot. There are also great trails from there for hiking as well.

hikespeak.com/trails/…

Victoria Beach is another, very popular locals beach in South Laguna.

www.discoverlaguna.com/beaches/victoria.htm

Laguna Niguel
7. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

Main beach is in the center of town and although crowded, is in the center of the action so should not be missed. Victoria is harder to get to access (parking) but is much smaller and less crowded. Although in July I doubt you will find any deserted beaches.

laguna niguel, ca
Destination Expert
for Honolulu
reviews: 12
8. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

1000 steps is gorgeous, agree on Victoria, crescent bay is nice.

edmonton
reviews: 42
9. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

i don't remember the street but about a mile north of main beach, there was a staircase down to a nice little cove beach. i'd also consider a day trip out to catalina island. in the san diego area, a nice beach, clothing options though if that's an issue with you...black's beach. you have to be in decent shape as the hike up the clliff if tough.

California
reviews: 3
10. Re: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.

I agree w/post #6 if you're looking for tidepools and coves

Here are our local faves that my fam enjoys... (listed in order from San Diego to Laguna)

San Clemente Pier and Beach Trail - This beach is about surfing & serenity! Also coastal metrolink stop is here...Traditional Cali-style boardwalk pier still stands strong here.

Doheny State Beach is a rocky beach, but it's a perfect place to ride bikes/Skate along the coastline and feel the breeze in your hair; or fly a kite! Also, I know this is not a beach buy you'll love because it's an easy strolling pathway overlooking the beach coastline...Dana Point Nature Interpretive Center and Trails...amazing local place for viewing whales migrating from the bluffs. Bring your Binoculars! Also next to Dana Point Harbor where you might want to rent a Kayak (get kind w/foot paddles if you've never tried before...best type for couples to harmoniously enjoy the kayak...no arguing on this and so easy!) or Paddleboard if you're into workouts and yes there are jet ski rentals here too. There are also local Whale Watching/Harbor Dinner Cruise Boats you can catch. Easy 15-20 min. from Laguna Beach off of PCH.

Dana Strands Beach- has a funicular up/down to beach

Salt Creek Beach ... Next to St. Regis, has local surfing, and hillside grassy knoll for day picnic, w/views...we love to watch dolphins breach near shore here!

Aliso Creek Beach - Firepits for perfect S'mores!

Treasure Island Beach - adjacent to Montage Resort, lovely views nice place to relax w/glass of wine at the resorts bar/grille

Hope you have a funtastic time making cherished memories :)

FYI: There are storm drains that do pour out to the ocean at Doheny, Aliso and Laguna Beach, so you should watch for bacteria warnings when posted. Usually it's highest 2-3 days after the rainstorms.

Reply to: 7 days in Laguna what beaches we might not want to miss.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted