We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cottage Restaurant?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Allentown, PA
reviews: 4
The Cottage Restaurant?

I understand that "The Cottage", my favorite restaurant in Laguna has closed. Just loved the architecture, food, and atmosphere. Does anyone know what the plans are for the building and if it will be renovated and reopened? Also, any recommendations for a traditional local favorite similar to it in Laguna? I love going to the type of places that have been around forever and are favorites with the locals.

19 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
1. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

I liked The Cottage because it was apart of my youth, but to be honest it really had not been great for years.

There are rumors that Urth Caffé from LA would replace it and that would be a massive upgrade in the quality of food.

…coastlinepilot.com/2013-02-12/news/tn-cpt-0…

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
2. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

As alternatives look at Zinc Cafe & Market, Madison Square & Garden Cafe (next door to the Cottage), and Cafe Anastasia for full breakfasts. I am fine with coffee and a sweet roll from Scandia on Forest Ave.

southern California
reviews: 10
3. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

This landmark is n more, unfortunately. They stripped everything out of it and sold it all off down to the salt shakers. For hangover food breakfast try Penguin Cafe (teeny tiny locals joint) south if Hitel Laguna.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
4. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

I was also a big fan of the Cottage. It had really rebounded in the last few years after a slump so it is too bad that scott didn't get there before they lost their lease. None of the recommended restaurants is comparable to the Cottage, although they are good in their own way. None have "been around forever." Least like the Cottage is Zinc Cafe, which is a very expensive vegetarian fast food format (order at a counter and get served at a table) cafe. I walked through Madison but haven't eaten there yet. The menu looks great as did the food. It's sort of garden shop meets patio cafe. Anastasia has a great menu but it is very modern minimalist, not a traditional old place like Cottage. Penguin has a traditional menu but it is a tiny diner. I can't really think of any place in Laguna Beach that has a comparable character.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
5. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

The Greeter's Corner restaurant might be the type of place you're looking for. While not as charming as the Cottage, it has been around for 33 years, has a traditional menu and has a local following. http://www.thegreeterscorner.com/gallery

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
6. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

Greeter's Corner has only been around 33 years because of location. It is the epitome of a tourist trap. If it were not on the ocean it would have closed 32 1/2 years ago.

Listen to Jim Dale's review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_siQqiT48Tc

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
7. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

I'm not going to dispute the tourist trap element of Greeter's Corner. Note I didn't say anything about the food. But a lot of people like it. It's got the same appeal as Las Brisas, which is the ultimate tourist trap, but people love that too.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
8. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

scott -- The link doesn't go to the review.

Allentown, PA
reviews: 4
9. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

Thanks all for the input. Any thoughts on "The Beach House" seems like one of those places that has been around forever, has a great view, and gets fairly good reviews.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
10. Re: The Cottage Restaurant?

The Beach House has been variable over the years. The view is great and depending on the chef in charge at the moment, the food has been quite good. Reviews on Yelp (more reliable than TA for restaurants) as late as today indicate slow service, high prices and mixed reviews on the food.

Reply to: The Cottage Restaurant?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted